Coraline algae growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomStav

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering if anyone knows any methods for accelerating Coraline algae growth...

Thanks,

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Time is the only thing that will accelerate the growth, that and a supply of calcium in the water. Once your tank has been established for a good period of time, it will take off and you will more than likely need to scrape your glass every other, or even every day. Let things take their natural course, don't try and speed them up, just have patience. Just a bit of advice here, when it does start to take off, make sure you scrape the little specs off of the front and side glass, because once the specs get bigger, they are a pain to get off. I killed a few metal blade scrapers trying to get that stuff off, a once or twice over with a mag-float every day should help.

thominil said:
Time is the only thing that will accelerate the growth, that and a supply of calcium in the water. Once your tank has been established for a good period of time, it will take off and you will more than likely need to scrape your glass every other, or even every day. Let things take their natural course, don't try and speed them up, just have patience. Just a bit of advice here, when it does start to take off, make sure you scrape the little specs off of the front and side glass, because once the specs get bigger, they are a pain to get off. I killed a few metal blade scrapers trying to get that stuff off, a once or twice over with a mag-float every day should help.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will be patient! I have never added calcium supplements to my tank as i have no corals, would it be a good idea to do so, or unnecessary for a FOLR?

Nope, no need to with no coral in there. Nothing in there is using calcium besides coraline and the few hitchhikers you may have on your live rock. Any lost calcium is replaced with your water changes.

If u buy LR with a nice build up of coraline and use reef complete 2x a week you will have it growing in a new tank in a month

you should not dose anything you aren't testing for. also, you should not add calcium without balancing alkalinity. when you add calcium your alkalinity will change. as stated, everything you need to keep calcerous algae and corals, is in your salt mix.

I will simply be patient and let it grow at it's own pace, thanks for all the help!

Tom

Back
Top Bottom