Coraline Alge??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rtoycrow

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had my 125 gallon up and running for almost a year now. How come my coraline alge is not spreading to my base rock and the rest of my tank?

Did you have anything with coraline already on it ?
What are your calcium , alk readings? What lighting are you running , coraline likes the darker light :)

Not sure of my readings. I thought the coraline was on my liverocks. I thought i read that the stuff on my liverock would spread to my baserock

It can take up to a year , I have had one tank that it never seemed to spred to back or the sides but covered my rocks ... As for the base rock I am not sure why coraline would not be spreading to them .. It does take awhile for it to be come premium rock tho .. I am in the middle of taking LR that has been on a shelf for nearly a year and has 0 coraline algea on it I will keep you posted on the progress . If possible you will want to get that test as that will give you a better Idea as to where you stand as coraline needs calcium to grow ...

The proper CA/ALK balance is the key. In order to grow coraline, it must first be present in the tank. I suggest finding a fellow reefer or going to the LFS and asking for coraline scrapings from their tanks. This may help kick-start the process.

I have had my tank for 2 months and starting to get green/purple algae. I am leaving my lights on for 12 hours and only have 1 10lb piece of Fiji live rock. I know coraline needs calcium so maybe check your levels? I've heard it likes dimmer lights but not sure if that is correct.

Back
Top Bottom