Coralline on LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fnscasey

Aquarium Advice Regular
After 3-4 months of my marine set-up, the coralline of my LR is not growing much.
What could be the reason ? I dose kalkwasser for evaporated water.
Is there any supplements I need to dose or….. to have a good coralline from my LR ?

My tank only have coral sand, live rock and fish.

you need to wait about 6 months for coralline to really kick in.
Is the above true ?

Is diatom algae growing on the rocks to prevent the coralline from growing, do you have anything in your tank to clean the LR?

You dont have to wait 6 months at all. In fact, i got a frag from a friend with coralline on it and its already spreading after only 2 weeks. What you need to do is get some coralline from a friend or local LFS and then put it in front of a powerhead in your tank. To just try and start coralline by itself from a normal tank will take a while thats why having some introduced will speed the process greatly. As far as why you arent growing it now, what are you calcium levels? Do you use Strontium? If you cant get coralline locally try Seachems Reef Builder, ive heard good things about it. Also in your next post tell us what lighting you have.

Magnesium is a Key ingredient to having Coraline.. I would get a Magnesium test kit and check the MG levels and Dose acordingly.. I believe levels from 1320-1500 are normal..

Also If you have a piece of LR with Coraline on it at all you can turn off your skimmer and scrape the Coraline with a knife and wait about an hour or so and turn back on the skimmer..

HTH,
James

Back
Top Bottom