Corals for top of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smithcinema

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently picked up the ecoray 112d led light for my tank and the output is very strong . I have a high 31 inch tank with a reef wall all the way to the top looking to add corals about 12in from water surface that will not fry from the LEDs my tank needs more stuff up higher all my corals are either on sand or low to mid tank !! Any ideas of coral that like more light

I have an ecoray 112d. You will need to suspend your light above the tank to disperse some of the light. I have burnt even the most light hungry corals with this light. The only corals that seem to be ok with it are my staghorns and milleporas. Acclimate very carefully.

its 1 foot above 31in deep tank my green mushroom looks shriveled up a little is that from to much light

Smithcinema said:
its 1 foot above 31in deep tank my green mushroom looks shriveled up a little is that from to much light

Yes, mushrooms will be smaller in the higher light areas, larger in the shadows. Mine however reproduce like mad in the intense light while being only an inch in diameter...they are pretty adaptable. You can always add small pieces of screen to reduce light in certain areas.

I use panels like these to light my 250 and it is 34" deep. I have 580 watts of 1 and 2 watt LEDs mixed like yours, half white and half blue. I have a dozen reefs lit with these panels, as I import them, so I am getting pretty comfortable with the PAR they generate and they can bleach a elkhorn coral in a few days if you don't shade the coral some at first. I think elkhorn can take more light than most SPS can. My mushrooms were in shock for the first few months, then adapted, some moved to shadow, some just stayed small but numerous. Good LEDs produce more light than you give them credit for.

Back
Top Bottom