Cories being bit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccmd00d

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have a 20g tall with 1 male gourami, 4 red tetras, and 4 cory cats. I used to have a couple platies in the tank too but they both died a while ago. Recently I noticed my cories have been hiding in a ship and only one or two would be out at a time. All 4 used to always be out and active. I noticed yesterday that on most all the fins are being bit off. One cories does have any fins, just the back tail and cant even swim. The other 3 arent as bad but they definetley have some damage. I have yet to see any of my other fish bite the cories. I don't have any idea what to do. Any suggestions? Again when the platies where in the tank, i never saw any of this. Do you think this may be a cause?

Thanks,

Derek

what do the water parameters looks like? (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates?) Could it be a cause of fin rot or another disease due to poor water quality?

Maybe the gourami or tetras are picking at them? If the water is ok, maybe you could move them to a QT tank to see if they heal.

I would be suspect of fin rot as well as opposed to other fish biting them. I would do a water test, water change and add some melafix and keep an eye on them.

I agree with Zagz, it sounds a bit more like fin rot, especially since you aren't seeing the other fish nipping them.

Do the tests, change some water, and change water weekly if you aren't already. :)

thanks for the responses guys. hopefully they get better. i think i need to start more frequent water changes.

Back
Top Bottom