Cories with Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agcorb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed two of my cories today have white spots on them (one has a single spot on his head, another with a single spot on his tail fin). I am assuming it is Ich (please correct me if this could be something else). I have actually been lucky enough to not have dealt with Ich yet.

My water temp was at 26oC and I raised it to 28oC. What else should I be doing to get rid of this? I just did a 25% wc yesterday and was going to do a 50% tonight as I thought that might help get rid of it? I heard salt will kill my cories, so is there something else I should put in the water to treat? I have to wait until tomorrow to pick anything up at pet store.

I do not currently have a quarantine tank available to transfer them in as I just turned that into another tank to house some other fish since I thought all of mine were parasite free.

My cories tank mates include some shrimp, angelfish, and guppies.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

if it's really fuzzy it could also be fungus. I think Ich typically has more spots. But i'd try and get a clear picture if you can. I think most find it easier to identify that way. Also keep track of specific behavior like scraping on rocks or gasping that might help as well.

Here are some pics, one spot on an emerald cories head, another's tail, and one right above my angels eye now. I am pretty sure it is Ich because I went back to store where I recently purchased a cory and noticed the tank there all had Ich I must have missed it somehow and currently couldn't quarantine. Although I haven't noticed any of my fish itching or acting out of the ordinary other then my cories have been clamping their fins lately. I have already raised the temp to 30c to try and help and my water parameters read:
nitrates and nitrites= 0
Kh=120
Gh=180
Ph=7.5

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423758005.684678.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423758036.583289.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423758062.566042.jpg

So the white spots aren't getting any larger than white salt grains?

For ich you may get a few more spots show up as the heat kills off the ich gradually. How are the fish doing with that temp? Did you need to increase aeration at all?

When the spots erupt, the fish can get scale damage so worth keeping an eye on them for secondary infections.

No they are all staying very small spots. I lowered the water level a bit so that the filter drops more water on the surface to try and oxegenate more since I don't have an aerator. The angel fish and my Julii cats all seem fine but my Emerald cats have their fins clamped a lot so I think they are not enjoying the heat... But I haven't seen them rush to the surface to gasp for any air either...Is there more that I can do?

Also, what would be signs of a secondary infection to watch out for?

Sounds good. They should be ok. It's usually the first few days of lifted heat they struggle.

Watch out for any fluffy, white tuffs showing above scales which might be fungal. And the usual such as if they start hiding / not eating.

Just wanted to update that I think the heat is working I did notice a couple more spots pop up but now they are starting to all fade. I don't see the one on my emeralds tail and the one in my angelfish and other cories heads have seemed to gotten duller. I think I was quick enough to catch it so it wouldn't turn into a bad case.

I was going to leave the heat up for about a month all together to be sure? Or should I turn it down before that? Also I read some people change out the substrate which would be such a pain with my plants to remove and add new sand.

Would yall say I should do that to make sure it's all gone?

I just treated a tank for ich with cories in it. The cories never seemed to get ich, but my whole school of kubotai rasboras had it. I kept the temp up for a full 2 weeks and then gradually reduced it. The cories were fine, and the ich didn't come back. Mine are panda cories. I didn't change the substrate, but I did do a few really good vacuumings.

2 weeks of heat treatment (after last spot gone) and should be fine. Fastest I've done it was something like a week after last spot - I think less than a week would be risky.

Didn't bother doing anything with substrate.

Back
Top Bottom