Cory a day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aoessand

Aquarium Advice Activist
well i bought 6 panda corys a couple days ago, last 2 days ive found a dead 1 a day.
Ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 10-20
ph8.2
temp 77-80

lights are on 8.5 hours a day, driftwood/live plants in tank. no idea why this is happening the bodys look fine there is no missing barbs or signs of injury.

i have 2 penguin 350 filters going and 2 air stones going as well. i feed the fish flake/bloodworms/algae wafers/tubiflex worms varying types of food so they have a varied diet.

If everything checks out it might just be weak stock. I had this same thing happen to some pandas that I ordered in as well as some that I bought locally. They seem to bre very hit and miss unfortunately.

Ya the ones who died would be the ones who weren't active the 4 that are left are very active so idk I did have a red eye tetra that got a fungus I think it is on him but he is in quarantine and the dead Cory's didn't have a sign of infection on them.

Your PH is very high for Cories. Do you have salt in your water ??

Pandas can be VERY sensitive. Peppered or Bronze Cories may be hardier for you.

just the type of info i was looking for, however that sucks cause i have no way of lowering my PH without adding chemicals and playing the up and down game and im just not going to get into all that :( im looking for a bit more color trying to get away from the brown/black color as thats what my gravel is lol these dang corys are very hard to find in the tank.

would emerald green cory Brochis splendens or preferably if i can find them sterba's cory Corydoras sterbai work? if i can find the sterba's i will give them a chance for sure not 100% sold on the greens yet maybe if i see them in person though.

thanks again for the info

just the type of info i was looking for, however that sucks cause i have no way of lowering my PH without adding chemicals and playing the up and down game and im just not going to get into all that :( im looking for a bit more color trying to get away from the brown/black color as thats what my gravel is lol these dang corys are very hard to find in the tank.

would emerald green cory Brochis splendens or preferably if i can find them sterba's cory Corydoras sterbai work? if i can find the sterba's i will give them a chance for sure not 100% sold on the greens yet maybe if i see them in person though.

thanks again for the info

Most tank bred fish can be ok in a wider range of conditions. PH isn't nearly as important unless you are trying to breed. Even experienced Cory keepers can have losses with Pandas. Ideally, your PH would be lower.

Healthy Bronze Cories SHINE. Or you can get Albino ? Peppered are Silver with spots and their is a Longfin variety. Sterbais and Brochis get bigger. Brochis females are tanks ;)
Brochis splendens is similar in color to C aeneus.

For best info check Planet Catfish Corydoras panda • Callichthyidae • Cat-eLog • PlanetCatfish
Scroll down to see members notes !!

There is

7 was 10 red eye tetras 2 are in quarantine 1 I found dead today

10 neon tetras

18 red ramshorn snails

I will lower the heeater now

There is

7 was 10 red eye tetras 2 are in quarantine 1 I found dead today

10 neon tetras

18 red ramshorn snails

I will lower the heeater now

Just lower gradually. Neons actually do well at 75-76...mine are at room temps.
I think Red Eyes are pretty tolerant as well.

I'm sorry your Tetras are having issues. Make sure your Cories get sinking Shrimp pellets, Frozen or live food. For some reason a ton of people try to feed them Algae Wafers even though they are mainly carnivorous.

I've been putting frozen brine/blood worms in the tank since I got the Cory's I also have been giving freeze dried tubiflex worms multiple types of flake foods as well. Purposely over feeding the neons,red eyes,platys flakes so I know food sinks to the Cory's, I will however get some sinking carnivore pellets next time I'm at a lfs.

I had a second RET get a fungus so not sure what's going on also had a dead RET today as well so I'm dropping temp to 75 over next few days.

I have a sick Cory at the moment. Not really sure what is wrong w him. His belly is swollen. I got 6 a week or 2 ago and last night I found him stuck upside down in my hornwort. He is now staying in hospital w pop eye tetra :(

ya i had no ideas corys was so sickly my water parameters are good i drip acclimated them as well its total mystery as to why mine died

I have peppered Cory. The sick one seems better. The 14 day return policy is up tomorrow.

ya i bought mine for a local mom and pop store, this is my reward for trying to help small biz? hah ill take my biz to petsmart/petco from now on, i do not appreciate being sold sickly bad stock of fish and then basically being told to stick them where the sun dont shine cause they already got my money...

Back
Top Bottom