Cory Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first time i ever successfully breed cory's it just happened, i had 2 albino cory's which i got from my lfs and they breed about a 6 months after i got them. After that i got hooked. They do say that cory's should be in big groups but like i said earlier i have done it with just a male and female.
I will admit that bigger groups did work very well, i went out and brought 6 females and 18 males and that worked fantastically. I found that they always started to breed in the mornings, the female would clean various sites around the tank ie.. glass, plants, rock, side of filter etc... She would then produce some eggs and hold them with her pelvic fins, she would then go to the males one by one and then throw the eggs on what ever service she had cleaned. This would go on for several hours until she has laid up 200 eggs. it can sometimes go on for days.

I have breed cory's in various conditions ie......

A community tank 36x12x12 gravel substrate, plants etc..
A QT Tank 24x12x12 No Substrate ( i think i was just lucky)
Then i had a cory tank made it was 60 long x 24 wide x 10 deep with a sand substrate and lots of plant and all that was in there was cory's.

I also found that they breed after an introduction of some cooler water ie.. water change.

Some good cory's to start with are

Albino cory, Bronze cory, Peppered cory.

HTH

A good way to cool the water is to use a plant watering can to add cool water to the tank...this simulates the start of the rainy season which will usually trigger spawning. You're looking for a 7-8* F drop in tank temp. Other fish will eat the eggs so it's best if the corys are by themselves. Recommended ratio if 2-3 males to one female. A healthy female can lay up to 300 eggs from one spawning. I usually remove the parents after spawning and put a couple of airstones in to keep the water moving. You have to watch out for fungus also. I usually dose the water with metheylene blue...an antifungal agent.

Back
Top Bottom