cory cat laying on side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tifta

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,
I got home today and noticed one of my cory cats laying on its side stiff. I tapped the glass and he moved around and then went back to that same position.

I just checked my water

0 Ammonia
0 Nitrites
10 ppm Nitrates
6.8 PH
78 degrees
I did a 50 percent water change last week, and I added my prime. I haven't done anything else. No spots or anything on him. the others corys are doing fine, all the other fish seem happy too. Is there something else I might be missing?

Oh, Amy - I hope he/she pulls out of it. I just love my cories and freak when I think something is wrong with one of them. Last week, for a just a second or two, I noticed one of mine swimming weird, then he stopped. My husband said he was doing it just for attention or just to joke with the other cories about (hey look guys, I can really make her freak...watch this).
I hope yours is okay and there's not something wrong with him.

When he moved around did all his fins move normally? Check his stomach area and see if he seems bloated at all. Do you have an airstone in the tank?

My cories do this from time to time and they are fine. They sit or lean tilted on the rocks on the bottom of my tank. Never completely on the side but tilted quite a bit.

If nothing has changed and he looks fine perhaps just keep an eye on it for a while and see if you notice anything?

He was completely on his side fins not moving. It's weird though because I woke up this morning to check on him and he was just swimming around exploring and eating. He doesn't look bloated at all. It really look like he was in pain and was trying to not fall on his side. I'll keep an eye on him and let everyone know. I am glad that he is swimming, instead of me finding him dead. Oh yes I do have an airstone. They love swimming through it all the time.

I agree with the others, my two albinos are notorious for laying on their sides and snoozing (i think). Once I walk up to the tank they are back to their normal selves. I wouldn't worry to much about it, but maybe keep an eye on him/her like the others said.

Well he's still doing fine. Thank god! I guess he likes to over react or something. :p

Back
Top Bottom