cory eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abons

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my bronze cory laid egg yesterday all over a rock in my main tank I managed to get the rock out and into another tank before they were eatten. The only problem is that it is a cold water tank with no filtration or heater. I know cory can survive in these conditions but can there eggs? I noticed this morning that the eggs are starting to change to a dull white colour not sure what this means any help would be great!

Thanks in advance

Last June, I pulled extra plants out of my 20L and threw them in a 20H with a few inches of chlorinated tap water on the kitchen counter. After fireworks on the 4th of July, I saw movement in the tank and found about 20 panda cory fry. Apparently the eggs were on the plants. The eggs survived the tap water with no filter. A heater would have been irrelevant because we didn't have the AC on so the house was warm.

White eggs are usually dead eggs.

Congratulations! Filtration or a heater is preferred, although Jims case proves that they could make it. Mine were a yellowish tan colour when they were dead, although a few people say that the tan colour is when they are fertile and going to hatch.. My problem was fungus which can get them.. Mine caught it every time, just my luck! Although they were sitting on a heated area (which wasn't too warm) with a bubblier. But I'm also waiting for mine to breed again but I have a breeding tank for it now so keep us posted! :)

Having recently checked there are about 34 eggs some are a dull white colour and some are turning brownish. I'm really confused because some of the story I have read on the web at both colours people are saying they are fertile.

My biggest question is how do cory mate. The female in my tank has spawned a few times but always over the glass and I've never been able to get them off.
This time around I noticed she was acting up and one of my barbs was following her around and I instantly thought she was going to spawn, so I kept an eye on her then noticed the sac of eggs and the second she laid them (over the rock) I took it out and into the spare tank.
Should I have waited for a male to pass over them to fertalize them or would they have already been fertalized?

Oh, did you see your corys in the 'T' position? (this is the male giving his sperm to the female) If you didn't don't worry, a lot of people that have successful eggs don't see the 'T' although it might help if you've seen it :)

Back
Top Bottom