Cory Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timn99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

My tank has been cycle for a few weeks now, with 0 NH3, 0 NO2, and some NO3. I introduced 6 corys and a rainbow shark. I bought Hikari sinking wafers and shrimp pellets, and feed them twice a day morning and evening because thats what I kept reading. For about 3 days everything was fine as I monitored the water and came up with 0 reading of NH3 and NO2.

Just yesterday, NH3 remained at zero but Nitrite went up to .25ppm
I went ahead and did a 50% PWC with Prime as de-chlorinator

Did I get overzealous with the feeding? And did my tank go into a mini-cycle? How often do you feed your corys and rainbow shark?

Feeding once a day should be more than enough. You had a slight spike from adding all those fish at once. You did exactly what you should have done. The tank will quickly adjust to the fish load and you should be fine. I would wait a few weeks before adding any new stock.

How large is the tank? What is your planned stocking?

Agreed. Cut back to once a day feeding. Alternate foods. Watch the NO2 levels and doa water change when needed. Wait until all is calm before adding new fish.

If the tank isn't large enough the shark could become a problem fish. make sure it has a nice secluded hiding spot ina back corner somewhere.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

It's a 29g tank. The 6 corys and rainbow shark go added to 2 existing Giant Dainos. I was feeding sinking wafers in the morning and shrimp pellets at night. Per your advice, I go back to feeding once a day in the morning alternating between the sinking wafers and shrimp pellets.

The rainbow has a cave that he sometime shares with some corys, even upside down sometimes :eek: . I'm looking at adding a hollow log decor with side holes. I think he should like that, just hope that he doesn't hide in there all day. BTW, I do notice many times, the rainbow will hide in the back corners where I strategically placed some fake plants. Do they prefer the corners?

They like to be in a cave type setting. Their backs against a wall. Corners are just nice tight spots. I have a flying fox and they act the same way. Mine basically built his own cave when the java moss grew a bridge between the glass and a rock at the back of the tank.

I have found that "sharks" tend to get more reclusive with age and more aggressive. So be prepared for that. For now the cories are fine with him, they may get in his way later, though usually its it more similar fish that are a problem.

I assuem you cycled the tank with the danios? If so then the spikes you are seeing are normal. Wait a few weeks before adding more fish to make sure all is good an settled. And be prepared when new fish are added for a potential spike or 2.

Yes correct, my tank was fully cycled when I had the Dainos in there. I'll just add 2 fish next time once things are stable and the fish need more company. Any suggestions on what to add?

Back
Top Bottom