Cost of a new setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alrighty, I'll Hopefully be moving in a month. I want to set up a NEW tank, then once cycled, bring over my fish from my current location.

Just looking at petsmart online, I'm thinking 5 bags of florite, and 2 of black sand.

My question really is: Does ANYONE know how much, Just a 55 gallon, or a 75 gallon tank + hood (no lights, or "stock" lights) is? i cannot find a price list for the life of me! London is fairly close to the states, and i hear there is a MASSIVE re-seller warehouse that is open to public. I got my perfecto 44 gallon Hex for 110 bucks, when big-als wanted 220. (100% markup! Crazy!)
But the guy i know who goes there fell off the face of the planet.

Baiscally, Heres my list so far.... I'm debating going eco-complete... I have it in my current 2 tanks... However, My 15 gallon bag was HORRIBLE. it was all silt. By the time i finished "rinsing" the silt out, i need another bag. i would say more than 60% of the bag was made of pebbles smaller than 1mm in size. The fish kick up a storm of "dust" until i gravel vac'd it until i lost half my substrate.
Will that triple tube T8 light output enough light for me? I figure it will be even lighting. Right now i have PC all the way.

I still need to get prices on simple 55 or 75 gallon tanks. And will an XP3 REALLY do the job for a 75? or should i get something else?

Top Fin® 55-75 Gallon Aquarium Stand - Black
605945 $149.99

Stealth UL Heater 250 Watt
606246 $20.99

Triple Tube Fluorescent Light Strip 48"
604482 $102.99

5x Flourite Plant Substrate, 15lb
604841 $24.99

2x Tahitian Moon Black Sand, 20lb
604845 $19.99

Rena FilStar xP3 Canister Filter, 9" X 9" X 14"
603738 $104.99

No Spill Clean and Fill 50 ft. Kit
601142 $38.69

Thanks again guys. I'm UBER excited about this! I REALLY hope i get the job!

sudz said:
Baiscally, Heres my list so far.... I'm debating going eco-complete... I have it in my current 2 tanks... However, My 15 gallon bag was HORRIBLE. it was all silt. By the time i finished "rinsing" the silt out, i need another bag. i would say more than 60% of the bag was made of pebbles smaller than 1mm in size. The fish kick up a storm of "dust" until i gravel vac'd it until i lost half my substrate.

Eco does not get rinsed. You are supposed to use it as is, no rinsing. Also, you don't deep gravel vac it. Just wave the gravel vac over the top and get the unsightly stuff out. My eco in my 29G is very fine as well, and did kick up dust storms on occasion, due to the fish, but after a while, it all settles in, and you won't have that problem.

Another thing I did to help, is after the water cleared and you get that layer of dust on the Eco, I lightly sucked some of it up, then took my hand and gently mixed the rest in without trying to kick up too much of a dust storm. Worked pretty well.

sudz said:
I still need to get prices on simple 55 or 75 gallon tanks. And will an XP3 REALLY do the job for a 75? or should i get something else?
It will handle a 55G and a 75G just fine. The XP3 is the only filter on my 75G. Then I have powerheads to create my CO2 mist, but that's about all they are used for, and do create some extra current. But yes, the XP3 is all you need.

Thanks Lonewolf! I know it SAID that it could handle it... But The AC 50 should be able to handle a 50 gallon tank, and looking at numbers... MAYBE ifthere was only a few fish on it.

With the eco-complete: the entire bag... was silt. Its like i got the bottom of the barrel when they were packing it. There was VERY little "pebbles" on it. The consistency was NOTHING like the 2 bags i got for my 44 gallon. I definitely got a dud batch. I was VERY happy with it in my 44 gallon. The problem was, when i used it, i was doing a straight swap from a 10 gallon to a 15 gallon. I had everything in buckets, including plants, and i had to get the next one up and running quickly. Otherwise, i would have called them up and demanded a new bag.

Another question: Since I'm going with a Canister filter... Is there anyway i can get a heater... that goes inside the rena? Or maybe some sort of Inline heater? It would be a VERY cool idea for rena to do! (an internal heater) The cheapest 300 watt inline heater i saw was (US)$60 bucks... as opposed to 22 for a submersible "stealth" heater.

My Eco in my 75G and 10G tanks sounds like in your 44G, but the Eco I have in my 29G is more like the new bag you got. It's not uncommon to get it like that. In fact, the plants do very well in it. I like it either way, and find it easier to plant in when the particles are smaller, especially ground cover plants. And they seem to thrive better too. But the main thing is, you never rinse Eco. It's made to go directly into the tank.

I walked to big-al's today, They said they can get me a perfecto 75 gallon tank,.. JUST the tank, for 120 plus tax. DEAL. My 44 gallon hex was 130 or something. Its another 40-50 for a glass top. So... 200 after tax and i have the tank.

They also shyed me away from the Rena. The guy showed me the rena XP2 on a 40 gallon tank, and the ehiem filter for up to 80 gallons running on a 90 gallon discus tank. It was by far superior. The only iffy thing is that when the media clogs... it CLOGS. There is NO way around the media, with the Rena Filstars, It will leak around and you will still get flow. He was trying to talk me up to the ProII series Thanks... but for 80 bucks, i'll drink some tank water by accident occasionally getting it to prime. :p

As well, Petsmart has the XP3 for 108 bucks! The ehiem was 160. They said "numbers are decieving" and a 20 dollar power head will agitate the tank enough. but the ehiem filters, filter better.

BAH! Just when i made my mind, something comes in to screw me up! lol

sudz said:
They also shyed me away from the Rena. The guy showed me the rena XP2 on a 40 gallon tank, and the ehiem filter for up to 80 gallons running on a 90 gallon discus tank. It was by far superior. The only iffy thing is that when the media clogs... it CLOGS. There is NO way around the media, with the Rena Filstars, It will leak around and you will still get flow. He was trying to talk me up to the ProII series Thanks... but for 80 bucks, i'll drink some tank water by accident occasionally getting it to prime. :p

As well, Petsmart has the XP3 for 108 bucks! The ehiem was 160. They said "numbers are decieving" and a 20 dollar power head will agitate the tank enough. but the ehiem filters, filter better.

BAH! Just when i made my mind, something comes in to screw me up! lol

I've never bought anything other than an Eheim. I have three Pro II filters not and have never had a problem with water flow, or clogging, and have never had a problem priming a pro II. The Eheim will by pass water when the media is dirty, the media it's self is designed to do that. The Eheim will not leak, it's sealed very well. You'll burn out the motor before you get a leak. If your media is that dirty you will notice the flow indicator go down way before anything catastrophic can occur. I clean my filters about every four to six months and have never noticed a reduction in flow. I left two Eheim filters running for 9 months with no maintenance while I was overseas and never had a problem the whole time.

I have never used one of the other brand but I'd compare it to getting a KIA vs a BMW. Both will work, and both will do the job, but one is significantly better than the other.

I bought cheep filters a few years back when I was getting back into the hobby. That was my first mistake. It's not worth it, spend the money, get a good filter.

P.S. Don't trust anything you hear from a sales person. I have nothing to gain by you buying an Eheim. It's just a great filter.

docrak said:
I've never bought anything other than an Eheim.

I have never used one of the other brand but I'd compare it to getting a KIA vs a BMW. Both will work, and both will do the job, but one is significantly better than the other.

Anyone else find this somewhat humorous? If you have never used any other brand, you cannot comment on any comparison. You can merely say, "The Eheim is great!".

Just wanted to point that out. I have never used either since I've never had a canister filter, but along the same lines you won't find me saying, "My Aquaclear 50 is the only filter I've ever used. It's great. You could get a canister filter, but I feel its like getting a KIA (canister) vs. a BMW (HOB). Both will work, and both will do the job, but one is significantly better than the other...." :wink:

I have an AC 70, and an AC 20 right now (for my 44 gallon and 15 gallon respectively) and they're quiet, and do the job. I want the canister filter, becuase i'm tired of the 5 different tubes and wires going up to my tank. I plan on getting an "inline heater"

I've must definately decided on the Eheim Classic 2215. It only pumps 164 GPH, However, it seems to be the best filter for the price point. Petsmart has it on their website for almost a full 100 bucks cheaper. Shipping is even free. If i end up paying duty, its still much cheaper.

I sent an e-mail to my new potential "boss" about 30 minutes ago. I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting for a response! I'm so afraid it will be "ya... sorry, Can do that. Nice knowing ya"

I mean... 1 month notice to pack your entire life away, find a new place and move 2 hours isn't very long at all!

Can anyone recommend a good "inline" heater? (one that heats water as it passes through a tube, rather than one inside the tank?)

Something like this: http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store...2&ps_session=f750883df73a982f435542ee69f1dbe7

(sorry for messy link)

*Edit*

Well, I just got an e-mail back. The job of my dreams was not approved.
I'm going to go sulk now, and wonder where my life is heading.

7Enigma said:
Anyone else find this somewhat humorous? If you have never used any other brand, you cannot comment on any comparison. You can merely say, "The Eheim is great!".

It was ment to be funny. Regardless, I don't have to own both a BMW and a KIA to tell which is better. I don't have to own every filter ever built to tell you which one is better. The Eheim canister is the better product, hands down. It costs more but is worth it in my opinion.

docrak said:
7Enigma said:

It was ment to be funny. Regardless, I don't have to own both a BMW and a KIA to tell which is better. I don't have to own every filter ever built to tell you which one is better. The Eheim canister is the better product, hands down. It costs more but is worth it in my opinion.

The analogy was funny, but the use of it was not warranted. Again you feel the Eheim is great, and that's good. But you do not have the qualification to say its better than X. That qualification would require owning or using X. Or doing lots of research and being able to post links to where direct comparisons are done.

7Enigma said:
The analogy was funny, but the use of it was not warranted. Again you feel the Eheim is great, and that's good. But you do not have the qualification to say its better than X. That qualification would require owning or using X. Or doing lots of research and being able to post links to where direct comparisons are done.

Based on my analysis and contact with the above mentioned products as an engineer and product designer and based on the limit product review on the internet by satisfied owners and less competent people I have come to the conclusion that the Ehiem canister filter is a better product than its competition. I have never owned any other filter other than an Ehiem and am not capable of making any long term judgments on other canister filters. That being said I also would not want to own any other canister filter other then a Eheim.

Here is a totally useless link comparing canister filters.
http://www.petsolutions.com/Info.aspx?id=59

Disclaimer: I am not saying all other filters are garbage. On the contrary, the Rena xP series gives you value for the money and may be acceptable for a great deal of applications.

P.S. You don't need to be an engineer or do hours of research or own both products to tell the Ehiem is better than the XP.

That being said; Eheims are great, super great even! Go Eheim!!!!!!

Lets take a step back and stop taking it personally. Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to that opinion. That's exactly what he gave, an opinion. If further personal attacks continue the offenders will be banned from the thread.

woah! Sorry there! i posted a reply, but i guess i accidently hit report! My fault for setting my monitor at too high a resolution!

My apologies!

What i meant, is, are there any DIFFERENT inline heaters than the one i posted. I thought his reply was a bit dry and sarcastic, but i took it in humor. No harm done!

sudz said:
What i meant, is, are there any DIFFERENT inline heaters than the one i posted. I thought his reply was a bit dry and sarcastic, but i took it in humor. No harm done!

AFAIK, I do not believe there are any other in-line heaters on the market/available. The one you posted is the one everyone uses that has an in-line heater and it has proven itself to be a very good heater. Hence why I reposted your original link. (and it was humor. Thought this thread needed some)

Back
Top Bottom