Could a betta fish be used as a dither fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firemouth143

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Could I use a betta fish as a dither for a firemouth. There are better dither fish out there, but their all schooling fishes and dart around like crazy. I prefer a more calming tank with slow swimmers that can be by itself.

36 gallon
The tank will only have 3 fishes.
1 betta
1 firemouth
1 dojo loach

Also, would a blue gourami get along in the tank with the betta.

You don't want to mix a betta or a gourami with a cichlid. Firemouths are very aggressive fish. They hardly tolerate being kept together. Also, the dojo with the firemouth would be questionable.

Cichlids should be with cichlids.

From what I research firemouth are fairly peaceful and they shouldn't be kept with other cichlids.

In the past, I kept a firemouth with 3 giant danio and 1 bamboo shrimp. There were no problems.

Anybody else with a different viewpoint?

Giant danio can work fine, they are faster than the firemouths. I kept firemouths with my giant danios and tiger barbs. However, a betta would not work with one. The flowing fins would be a target, not to mention the size difference.

And fyi, I breed firemouth cichlids. I have more than enough experience. So I suggest you google more about firemouths and their temperments, and what is compatible before you imply someone doesn't have experience because they tell you it's a bad combination you're planning. Oh, and google dither fish as well. They are used when you are breeding fish.

I'm not doubting your words nor trying to offend you. I just want to hear other people's experiences.

Another question, would blue gourami (or any of the 3 spotted ones) be compatible with a betta fish as tankmates?

Bettas are really dependent on individuals. I had a female betta who never even blinked at other fish or shrimp in her tank and would hang out with them. My current female spent quite a few days with a divider up before she was allowed out with the other fish and I put in a ton of hiding places. She immediately ate all the snails... (I have cardinal tetras in with her as well as amano shrimp-- the shrimp are as big as she is, and faster.)

Frankly, the betta should be the most aggressive species in the tank, and no fin-nippers with males. You'll have the least problems that way.

Back
Top Bottom