Could 'stirring-up' my PFS caused problems??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U_Hoo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. So I have a 55gal tank that's been fully cycled for 3 weeks. I've had 2 clown loaches and one RTS for about a week and a half. We had planned to start adding cichlids tomorrow. Things were going great. Yesterday I noticed the previously crystal clear water was slightly milky. I assumed bacterial bloom...new tank...not unexpected. Today I tested ammonia and nitrite and ammonia is still 0 but nitrite is .25? I did a 25% water change 5 days ago and noticed the tank was smelling like unpleasant wet sand (NOT a rotten egg smell, more mildewy) so I stirred the sand up a bit. Did I release toxins by doing that? The fish still seem to be acting like they always have. Do I let it sit another day or start a water change now? There's nothing dead in the tank (only had 3 things), what could have caused this? Hmm...just occurred to me that I added the crushed coral last week and at the same time recharged my purigen which was dark due to driftwood I'm assuming. I added the recharged purigen back to my canister on Saturday as well. Would some Malaysian Trumpet Snails help with the sand maintenance?

Here are the tank stats:

0 ammo/.25 'trite/ 25-40 'trates (nitrates are high from tap)
8.0 ph 17 GH 4 KH

55 gal
AC70, Aquatop CF400uv with pads, seachem matrix, crushed coral, purigen
aqueon 250w heater - running at 80
air stone
PFS substrate, local rocks, driftwood

ps. about a week+ ago I posted a thread about a white fuzzy growth coming from one of the rocks; that disappeared about 3 days ago without me doing anything.

Sounds as if the cycle just did not complete. The milky water is certainly an indication of a bacterial bloom. While stirring sand has anecdotally caused problems in WELL established tanks, I really don't think in a tank this new that it could have had any adverse affect.

Back
Top Bottom