Could these test readings be the cause of koi and goldfish flashing.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyskoi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im new to useing water test kits so i dont know if this is the cause of my fish flashing all the time and sometimes yawning.

Nitrate 50
Nitrite 0
Gh 16
Kh 0
Ph 6.4
Ammonia 0.25

Any advice would be really helpfull

Thanks

The high ammonia causes gills to burn, and would be your likely cause of flashing. I'd suggest a PWC to keep it in line until you figure out the source.

How did you cycle?

Have you added anything new lately?

Has there been any deaths or die offs lately?

They are extremely dirty fish that put off a ton of waste. I have 3-3inch commons that I do 2-25% weekly water changes on. And that's with a canister, and a 55 gallon tank, which is still on the very small side for them.

What types of goldfish do you have and how many?

Again did you and how did you cycle?

What size is your tank and what filtration are you running?

About a month and a half ago i cleaned the tank out without water conditioner and killed off most if the fish i had which is the worst and stupidest thing i have ever done so i think that may still be the problem with the tank cycle. And yes goldfish are massive waste produces

Thanks

I have two small koi 3 inch and 2 goldfish about 3 inch in a 55 galllon tank with an ehiem pro 2 external filter and a internal filter runing.

Thanks

Those koi are definately going to outgrow that tank! Are you planning on putting them in a poind?

And do you know what kind of goldfish they are... Comets, Oranda, Ryukin, Moors, etc?

Yeh they will go in a pond when they outgrow the tank. One is actualy a shubunkin and the other is just a commen goldfish

Thanks

Whats your typical water change schedule?

With goldfish, I usually recommend people do a 50-75% water change once a week.

Where I work, we have a 56 gallon tank with four fancy goldfish that are 6-7 inches... We do a 75% change on them every tuesday. Sometimes we'll do a second change on Sundays if the readings are off, too.

I was cleaning the tank every week but as i thought all the flashing was down to flukes i dident do a water change for 12 days why i was doin the med course. I have been doing 50% water changes the last few days. How long after a water change shall i wait before testing it again?

I was cleaning the tank every week but as i thought all the flashing was down to flukes i dident do a water change for 12 days why i was doin the med course. I have been doing 50% water changes the last few days. How long after a water change shall i wait before testing it again?

I would wait 15mins to 1/2hr before testing again to allow your water to fully circulate so your readings are accurate.

I just tested for ammo again and its still not changed. I did the last water change about 2 hours ago so i will just have to try again tomorrow and hope it changes soon

Do i have to let it settle or can i test it straight from the tap?

Back
Top Bottom