Could this be a parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatlouguy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi:

I have a Yellow Tail Damsel that has a white ulcer looking growth on the flap of 1 gill. I call it an ulcer because it sticks out from the surface. 3 days ago I noticed a small white dot on the front base of the dorsal fin. Today I noticed the gil ulcer. The fish is otherwise eating, swimming & acting fine.

This is a 50 g SeaClear System II tank which is 13 days into cycling. It has 1/2" #3 substrate with only 3 coral decorations.

I had added Bio-Spira Marine 7 days ago but the packet was mistakenly placed in the freezer for a day which may have killed the bacteria.

As of today the water params were Ammonia .25, Nitrite .25, pH 8.2, & Nitrate of 10. Salinity is Okay.

There are 7 other Damsels (3 Blue Devils, 2 Beau Gregory's & 2 other Yellow Tails) which show no sign of a problem. Could this be a parasite. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lou

I would love to help but am confused by your post. Do you have a 50G tank that has been up and cycling for 13 days with 8 fish in it? If so, how many days ago did you add the fish. That the best place to start for now.

Sorry you were confused by the post. Yes, what you understand is correct and the first fish were added 2 days after set-up (11 days ago). Does that matter?

Does that matter?

Depends how you look at it. From an ethical standpoint, to me it does. You are using live fish to cycle your tank. This means they are going to experience the full effects of the beginning of the nitrogen cycle. The ammonia can and will literally burn their gill filaments while the nitrites will bind to the hemoglobin in the blood and block oxygen transfer (pretty much suffocation). While some fish may survive, it really isn't necessary....and at 8 fish if they all survive you really don't have any room left to add other fish without attempting to capture and remove the. IMO, no fish deserves this treatment no matter the cost etc. when it is unnecessary.

You can easily cycle your tank by adding a few cocktail shrimp or uncured liverock. The dieoff will produce the ammonia needed to cycle the tank. Most LFS will not disclose this though as it normally means they lose out on some $$.

Hoops post pretty much covered the direction I was going to go. I would advise you contact your LFS and see if they will either hold or give you credit for your fish while you proceed with a proper cycle. IMO I doubt any of those fish are going to live very long under those conditions. Continue to post further questions or if you need direction from this point.

First of all, I've used this procedure to cycle 2 other tanks (on the advice from the lfs and this site!) and can proudly say that I have never lost a fish. Second, the Bio-Spira was to help avoid any ill effects from cycling and research told me that the Damsels are hearty fish and should not be in any harm. Third, I would never do anything to put fish at risk, no matter what the cost or benefit. Thanks for the lesson in morals, guys. Now does anyone actually want to answer my question?

PS- bolegged is not a word, bowlegged is

I would suspect that the combination of cycling stress and maybe a not too healthy fish has resulted in what sounds like a fungal infection. You would need to QT the damsel and treat. HTH

Back
Top Bottom