couple questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is why air stones are a terrible way to try to inject co2 into the aquarium.

I'm not sure you're on the right track, but I am inclined to agree..

Unless you assumed that I would have been contemplating the use of an air stone to deliver CO2?

Air stones don't get oxygen into the water because they're pumping air down.

OK
Although this subject would be better debated in its own thread, here goes..
I use wooden air stones in my aquarium. These offer fine air bubbles. Finer bubbles have a greater surface retention allowing more gas exchange to occur.

Furthermore, the surface agitation caused by the bubbles increases the surface area of the water/atmosphere interface, also allowing greater gas exchange to occur.

In summary, I agree with certain aspects of your previous post..
There are a great many articles on the WWW in regards to the benefits of air pumps.

fact, or opinion? You decide :)

happy tanking MJB
fact. there too often in this hobby people get stuck in their ways and say theirs is the only way to go. there are very few things in the hobby that are a must and air pumps are not one of them. make a thread and ill be happy to go at it but adding in a bunch of stuff to someone just starting out who might be a little over whelmed doesnt seem to help too much.

Ok, was finally able to go to the pet store today and pick some supplies, but I am stumped! While looking through the test kits, I came across 3 different kits: 1 for nitrate, 1 for nitrite, and 1 for ammonia:confused: which kit do i need to get? other than that, ima start setting up the tank tonight and hopefully get the test kit tomorrow.
Thanks.

Hello MJB,

You've gotten a lot thrown at you quickly, but you seem to be learning the important stuff quickly :)

You actually need to test for all three. You can get the API Master Freshwater Test Kit (what most of us use) pretty cheaply in the US, I don't know about in Guam though. That has all three, plus two tests for pH, which is equally important to keep stable.

^^LOL...yeah, i always thought just get a tank, put water, filter, decorate, throw in the fish. Dang, was i wrong!!

Thanks for the info, i did see a master test kit but it was for salt water. I will call them or stop by the pet store to see if they have a fresh water kit. If not, i'll order from the US mainland.

Thannks again:D

Thanks guys!

I'll be heading to the pet store tomorrow. So far, I've set up the decors and filter. And now, I am stumped yet again!

There are a whole bunch of bubbles coming from the filter, what causes this? I did a search here and so far i've come up with: possible air coming in through the intake tube. That its normal and should settle in a few days or so. And, that the water level may be too low and that the distance its dropping from the filter is causing the bubbles.(my coworker told me this, idk).

So far, I've adjusted the length of the intake tube And added more water. Now, I'm waiting to see if it'll settle in a few days....

Any other suggestions?

How far does the water fall from the filter? You can fill it right up until you're scared to fill it any more :p That will reduce bubbling as much as possible.

Did you just recently (last 12 hours or so) fill the tank with water or sand/gravel? Both of those activities can cause a lot of bubbles to stick to decor and tank walls.

I filled it up Thursday night. I added a gallon of water, the bubbling has slowed down. Just waiting for the rest to go down. It falls from the filter to the surface about an inch or an inch and a half.

Back
Top Bottom