Covering My Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need to get a cover for my 38 gallon aquarium because I'm gonna get a betta which are jumpers. My original plan was to use a simple glass cover but the light fixture and my HOB filters would get in the way so it wouldn't fit properly. What are some good cover options for my tank? Thanks!

By some 1/4" acrylic from lowes and have them cut it to shape or you could if you have the tools.

If your not concerned about evaporation then you can easily cut egg crate, it's cheap, easy to work with, and fits perfect. It's available at home improvement stores in the ceiling tile section, here's what I mean.

Attachments

• image-1384560578.jpg
    image-1384560578.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 73
I think I'll use egg crate. I might go with the acrylic though because I love looking at my fish from the surface. Evaporation isn't that bad now with no cover so I'm not worried about it. I'll have to look around for it.

HUKIT said:
Almost none, that's what's is used for a light diffuser in drop ceiling tiles.

Well that's kinda why I asked, because light diffusers do exactly that, they diffuse, and give a "soft light" out by spreading the light...

But you're better off without a glass top... You lose beneficial light, gas exchange, etc...

Sorry I thought this was in the salt water section, which in case I have a valid point. Carry on :cool:

HUKIT said:
I've seen those and they're very expensive considering all that stuff is like a nickel when you buy it at Home Depot, I just redid a screen door for like $4, for that money you can buy a glass canopy.

A nickel?! You have one seriously cheap Home Depot. I priced it all out at HD in my area a few months back and it was a little less than the same. I also could not find a good screen material to use. The stuff that comes with that kit is quarter inch clear screen, perfect even for saltwater. Also could not find the proper corners, everything my store had was way too bulky.

I think I'll go with the egg crate. I have a home depot 15 minutes away so it'd be easiest for me. Thanks for your help everyone!

You could use a glass cutting board that is what im using on my 40 gallon my tank didn't come with a light fixture so the glass works great because I can set my light on top. Another idea I had when I was looking for a cover was a window screen which is actually not all that different from the screen they put over reptile tanks.

They wouldn't block out much a friend of mine has one over his fifty gallon with two lights sitting on top and the light gets through fine

I think I'm gonna stick with the egg crate because it'll be easiest for me but window screen will be my second choice. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Back
Top Bottom