Crab from LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AMDPhenomX4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Dont know, it is very small.
fish1

Would like answer fast as crab is currently in a bucket with lr next to me. If need be i will float it but i would like answer soon. Getting a refugium too so i can hopefully wad it out for a few days til i get it.

Doesn't look like a fiddler to me...Can you get a better pic of the claws?

I agree with Roka dosent look any thing like a fiddler. I had something that looked very close to that , and some called it a rock crab . They are opertunsitc buggers that are not reef safe , they will grab a sleeping fish , shrimp that wanders too close to his cave ect ...

He is back in the tank. I only saw it under my Condy in a rock. Nothing is missing. I was thinking it could be a female fiddler.

Take your chances but as it grows it will cause issues . I have been there , and there was NO telling how long the guys were in my tank before evidence of them showed up ..
I am telling you from experience ! .
You are welcome to keep him as you are it is your tank but you will find that as your tank grows and you add things you will find stuff that comes up missing it may not be right away but it will eventually happen . Good luck

If he gets that big I might just make a mini meal. I trust roger though as he has been in the business for over 10 years. The only other pictures are way to blurry. I also have a crap load of LR and well. 1/2 in crab that looks like rock isnt easy to see in 2 rocks nevermind 20. I dont think hes a rock crab either. He looked like a sandy color. Roger said it was similar in role to emeralds.

I dont know. I agree with Sadielynn. I think your advice and ID Sadie are spot on.

Im not sure. He was using a rock as his home. Their was an anemone right next to it. I also just dug through the tank. Any ways to stop clowns from nipping you? The female is pissed when i get close to her anemone. How should i catch it?

Ive noticed... So what trick to catch the crab? And how fast do they grow? Because i got it from a piece of LR a 3 months ago at the same size.

Tilted glass near the crab's home with food in the bottom.
How did you get it out the first time?

Im not sure. He was using a rock as his home. Their was an anemone right next to it. I also just dug through the tank. Any ways to stop clowns from nipping you? The female is pissed when i get close to her anemone. How should i catch it?
I am going to say one last thing . And that is the pic I linked you to is NOT blurry .. and I know he was causing issues in my tank! I am telling you from experience ! Yes emerld crabs are also known to become opertunistic as well! Thus the name rock crab :D
As a rule of thumb if the pichers are pointed and black they are bad news ! I am certianly far from an expert but experience is an awsome teacher ..You may also have issues with the condy killing the clowns in the future as well

So what should i do with the condy? And first time was done by seeing it in a rock and shaking it out.

Yeah, I'm almost 99% sure it's not a fiddler. I have a tank just for fiddlers.. That doesn't look like them. Too green and the claws look different. Maybe a very dark Emerald crab? I'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom