Crab ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moo33284

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I got some live rock and now there's a crab in the tank... He seems to be eating algae when he comes out at night. He's brown/maroon in color with creamy irregular stripes on his back/legs. His claws are maroon (darker than body) in color not large and are slender with white coloring RIGHT at the end of tips of the claw. The claws are not enlarged at the end if arm...just smoothly form a slender, small claw. He has just slight hairiness on his legs...the "hairs" are quite large and spaced apart...I have tried to get a pic but it's just so hard as he is quite skittish. His eyes are also black...

I know it's hard without a picture..but maybe someone out there knows what I'm describing. I've already looked on sites but just can't find him... All I'm really concerned about is if he is reef safe. I've had mushrooms and button polyps in there and he hasn't seemed to bug them...yet. Hope someone can help!

One more thing...he's only about 3/4ths of an inch..maybe only a half inch. Not that big.

General consciousnesses on any crab that has "hair" on it, other than emerald mithrax and that's a toss up, is bad and predatory. Over the years I've noticed most crabs become predatory and I don't allow any crabs in my systems.
Does it look like this
img_2094779_0_078c6f36ec47157132b6d938176a20ed.jpg

No not at all. only place with hair is legs, body it's very smooth and it's claws are waaay smaller and skinnier. It's claws are also the same collie as body, just a bit darker but not black with tiiiny white tips.

And the "hair" on the legs is so sparse and spread out.

Crab ID without a picture is hard, there are a lot of different varieties.
How about this:
img_2094800_0_5e5cd7f6f6001f732d68831c5b7e9e8b.jpg

Yes he does look much more like this just different colors. Mine has the same darker front legs/claws just not as red.

And thank you so much for trying to help! I know this is quite the challenge so I truly appreciate it!!!

My guess is it's a Mithrax crab, they come in all colors. I'd keep an eye on him, make sure snails aren't disappearing, etc.
I've always went by the motto "when in doubt, pull it out" in this hobby.

I agree. Probably a mithrax. I've seen them in various shades of green, red, and brown. Not reef safe. You might find one that doesnt touch corals for years, but in the end, crabs are opportunistic feeders, and if they ever sample coral, they'll see how tasty it is. I have had two go bad. One took an hour, the other took a month. Even if it's not a mithrax, try to keep in mind that a crab is a crab. I'm not sure there is any 100% reef safe crab species.

I had one for over a year and never touched anything, then 3 mornings in a row I found him with Astraea snails upside down chowing away.

Jeff, I think I can beat that crab story. I had one of the very few supposedly reef safe crabs. Porcelain Anemone Crab. I mean come on, these guys are filter feeders! How dangerous can they be?
Yeah, he lived under my torch coral and would violently attack any snails, hermits, serpent star, etc that got close, and would periodically sneak out at night to gobble up little feather dusters.

Do they eat anemones? Cause my huuge bubble tip I put in yesterday is nowhere to be seen...I really don't think he could have eaten the while thing.. Do anemones hide at night?

And ant tips on how too catch the little bugger? doesn't seem to be messing with anything yet but I just got some expensive coral I'd like to protect

moo33284 said:
And ant tips on how too catch the little bugger? doesn't seem to be messing with anything yet but I just got some expensive coral I'd like to protect

As for the Nem he just found a spot he liked that's all , not often will one stay we're u out it . Try putting a glass in your tank with food at the bottoms , have it On a slight angle so he can get in but not out

Back
Top Bottom