Crab in my live rock, can anyone identify?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sucio186

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This little guy came with the rocks i bought. I do have a leather coral and some polyps so i want to make sure he will not harm them. Can anyone identify please.

Thanks.

I have heard that hairy crabs are usually bad so i might just keep him in my sump to be safe. Would still like to identify if anybody has seen this before.

Attachments

• crab2.jpg
    crab2.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 119
  • crab4.jpg
    crab4.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 127
  • crab.jpg
    crab.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 122
Sweet looking crab. Do you have any front photos of this guy? Something that might show a good claw photo? Do you know where the live rock came from?

It's safe to say this guy doesn't fall into the good crab category. Most reefers would remove. Do you have a sump?

Yes I actually did put him in the sump. The pic I got is the best I can do to get the claws showing

image-3489704723.jpg

image-2035534356.jpg

Yes I actually did put him in the sump. The pic I got is the best I can do to get the claws showing

The live rock came from someone who was selling it. Got 175 lbs for 200 bucks do can't complain

Ya that is a cool but mean looking crab. Look up xanthid crabs. Spelling. There is lots of them but it looks like it could fall into that category. Pointy claws also usually mean a mean crab. Lol

The added photos helped. It might be a crab in the Actumnus genus or Pilodius genus. Those are my best guess. Both fall under the Xanthidae family. Like you said, that's a great price for live rock. Finding hitchhikers is part of the fun and experience of reef keeping.

I got some rock that had 2 of the same crabs. I'm not sure what kind it is but they seem to be nocturnal and have not had any trouble with them bothering my fish or corals. They were a nice addition to my CUC.

Back
Top Bottom