Cracked aquarium hood, 40 gallon hex, some questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saverio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hiya folks,

This evening, I noticed that the aquarium hood on my 40 gallon hex had a bunch of cracks in it. :cry:

I'm suspecting that my light fixture is to blame. I am using the 96watt Coralife CF fixture, and I just always had it sitting on the hood. My guess is the alternate heating up and cooling down thermally stressed the glass, eventaully causing it to crack. I keep the light on 13 hrs a day for my plants. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Now, my options are to get another hood, or to leave it an open tank. Getting another hood would just be a matter of going back to Petsmart where I bought the tank, or perhaps ordering one online, but then I worry that the same thing will just happen again over time.

My other option, which is more favorable to me, is to leave it an open tank. But does anyone know of a website I that sells the legs to attach to my light fixture that will fit a 40 gallon hex? And also, I've seen open topped tanks that have what looks like a fitted extension to make the tank a little taller so to speak, as I worry about tank jumpers. My tank is inhabited by neons, glowlights, ghost and cherry shrimp, and a dwarf gouramis. I suppose I could always lower my water level... But still, I need to get the legs to attach to the light fixture.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Happy holidays! :D

online vendors i.e. marinedepot...legs

Eggcrate for the top. Any Lowes, HD has it. It is what we use in S/W. Allows for gas excyhange, keeps in jumpers, and is cheap.

Back
Top Bottom