cracked clam shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pipermurphy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had a durso clam for about 3 months, everything was going fine with him until today. I noticed that one side of his shell was cracked just above the sand line across one whole side. He is still alive, his mantle still extends and retrcts. Is this a growth spurt? or do I need to do anything. My shrimps and all inverts are doing okay. My calcium levels are all good to. Any ideas?

Sorry about the clam. I have never heard of this happening without being dropped or having a piece of live rock falling on it. I can not say what the out come will be but here is a link to a clam site I belong to. They are friendly and willing to help, just as this site is. Good luck. When the page opens click on the section (Forum)
It will bring you to the page for posts. www.clamsdirect.com

The crack runs parrell with the sand on a horizontal line. I don't have a digital camera. It is on the back side away from the glass. I am afraid to move it to get a better look at it.

If it is not hindering the opeing and closing of the clam, and the mantle still shows good extension, there is little you can do. Can you actually see into the clam from the side? Could it simply be coraline that has cracked and the shell is intact?

Back
Top Bottom