Cracked PC Light :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thedon986

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just as the title says....one of 55W AGA PC lights cracked this morning about five minutes after i turned it on. The bulbs are connected to a 2x55W Bight Kit from AHSupply, in a vented wood enclosure made by them for this kit. Has anyone had experience with what would cause a light to crack? My first thought was overheating because it cracked at the glass molding between the two sides near the end. And after looking at where it cracked it looked like the glass turned brown almost like it had been burnt. Another possible cause would be that a cold front came through and its now 45 outside and about 65-70 when i turned the lights on....could the lights heating up to quickly have caused that? I'm guessing i should install some fans to help cool this thing. What fans do you recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the lights were that cold (in 45 degrees) and you turned them on that MAY have caused it to break but I doubt it. It doesn't seem like that big of a change in temperature to me.

Im not sure about your particular set up, but I had an indoor plant room for cactus's and venus flytraps and such. Anyways, I had a 200+ watt VHO light that did the same thing, burnt on the ends and cracked/broke. @ $25.00 bucks a bulb, I couldn't afford this, so I hooked up an oscillating fan to the light timer that blew over the ballast and lights and they never broke again. The ballast was over heating and destroying the bulbs, the fan worked.

Back
Top Bottom