Cracked the outer corner of my brand new empty tank! What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NancyDrew

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, the title pretty much says it all.

I was cleaning out my brand new, unused tank, and it gently hit the corner of my granite countertop, and I heard a crunch. It is a small chunk of the corner, maybe .5 inch, still in place but definitely could be pulled out if I tried (I won't). I poured some water into the tank and let it sit on the corner where this happened, and it didn't leak, but I don't fully trust it as is. Do I try to exchange it at Petsmart? This is user error, not a product malfunction, so I would feel dishonest doing that. Can I seal it up somehow? If so, can someone explain it to me (or point me to a site that explains it)? Thanks.

Oh, it is a 15 gallon Top Fin tank from Petsmart.

Lesson learned: put a towel on the counter if I ever clean the whole tank again!!!!!

These should all be clickable...

If I can just put something on the little chunk to make sure it doesn't come out, I think that would be good. I just want to make sure that whatever I use isn't going to hurt the fish if it should somehow get inside the tank. I don't think it will, as the inside seal seems sound. I'd just hate to wake up to a puddle and dead fish one day and wish I had done something.

I wouldn't be concerned about it, but if you want, get some GE Silicone I for windows and doors and apply some to the outside covering the damaged area and extending a little beyond.

I actually have some clear Silicone II 100% silicone sealant, it says it is for kitchens and baths. The tube says it is watertight. Can I just use that?

What brand is the silicone? Last time i checked, GE II had mold and mildew inhibitors..

It is GE. It says "Cured sealant is mold and mildew resistant". That's bad? I honestly know nothing about this stuff.

Don't use that!!!! even though it's the outside of the tank, you're better safe than sorry. that mold and mildew resistant stuff is poisonous for fishes. use the type 1 kind, the kind that says for windows and doors.

I could also use aquarium sealant, right?

Ugh! I can't believe I did this! Is there anywhere that sells 15 gallon tanks without the whole kit? I have such a small space for the tank, I can't get anything bigger/taller. I found one possibility on Craigslist but it was used for a snake so I'd have to clean it, and we know how that went the first time. :rolleyes:

Just fill it up and see if it leaks. I doubt it does (you didn't post anywhere that it does did ya? :p). I have a bigger chip than that in my 15 gal and it has no issues.

yea I would definitely fill the tank all the way (maybe even leave it overnight or for a day just in case) before buying a whole new tank. if you do want just a tank I think petsmart sells just tanks. I got my 20H topfin there, but it did come with a hood also.

Honestly it doesn't look that bad. I agree, just put some silicon on it and see what it does. You can find the correct silicon in the section of lowes or Home Depot that has acrylic. That's where I found mine. A littleish red and white tube. 100% silicon, nothing about mold or mildew on the tube at all. I think it's all of 3 or 4 bucks?

I did a quick leak test where I put some water in the tank then I leaned that corner over the sink. I didn't see any drips or anything at all. Looking at it from the side I can see how deep it is, and it is maybe halfway through the glass. I feel like it will be OK if I use silicone or aquarium sealant (is one better than the other?) but I wish I knew for sure. Then again, I'll be cycling the tank so it will sit with water for a while, so I can watch it before adding fish.

I'll look for the silicone tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your help.

TCool, I'm glad to hear that you have a similar issue and haven't had problems. It is easy to look at it and say "I think it will be fine" but hearing firsthand experience is always good too.

Aquarium sealant is just silicone. If you go to Lowes or Home Depot, make sure you read the entire tube to make sure it doesn't contain any mold or mildew inhibitors (mildewcide). As for the dent/crack, as long as the dent doesn't wedge the two panels apart or go deep enough to affect the inner silicone seal, you won't have any problems, with or without the additional silicone over the dent/crack. HTH.

I was a little nervous about mine too, but it is a fairly small tank and it's not like the chip came out of a structural support area. From what I know, the silicone is put on from the inside so I doubt that little chip affected the seal in that area at all. Run your finger up and down the inside corner where the chip is and I bet it feels smooth as if nothing happened there.

Back
Top Bottom