Crate aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so here's an idea! What if you took some ply wood and made a long crate shaped like an aquarium and then put pond liner or something inside so that water could not escape. Then you could have your own cheap aquarium in what ever size you like! Would this work? I haven't thought it through...but I think it would work! The only problem would be that you can only view your fish from the top. Any ideas on how to fix that? The point of this DIY is not to use acrylic or any sort of glass/plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just imagine, the wood at Home Depot is so cheap and SO long! You could practically build a crate aquarium that is as long as your walls!

Look on YouTube, the king of DIY aquariums. I think he's got a video of build similar to what you're thinking

I looked at that channel and couldn't find anything entirely made of wood which is what I'm trying to do.

If that doesn't answer your question, I would definitely do research to see if the pond liner material is reef safe or is treated or coated with any kind of chemical that might interfere with and corals or fish.

Saw a guy on CG selling a 1000g like this in his garage with a plexi glass view pannel

Not to be stupid but pond liner isn't see through, so you wouldn't see the fish. I am guessing I'm probably missing something. Love the DIY approach though.

Lol Well yes I know it isn't see through (It's typically black). That's why I said you could only see through the top.

NatureFish
????

All that came up was ply wood frames for aquariums. That's not what I mean.

NatureFish
????

Search plywood pond or indoor ponds on youtube.

Not my video, just an example. Have a good one.

I want some monster fish but without having to dig a pond outside or spending a lot of these...$$$$

NatureFish
????

Look up plywood aquarium. The issue you run into is the amount of force the water pushes on the wood. But wooden aquarium have been done

Hope this pic shows up. This is what I made. Similar idea. Landscape timber interlocked on the outside, plywood on the inside, with pond liner!

Back
Top Bottom