Crate aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is EXACTLY what I was imagining when I wrote this thread! Can u make a post with instructions? Thanks!

NatureFish
????

Thank you! Really not that difficult. Basically just a large scale linkin-log construction with rebar poles holding the timbers in place. Then plywood cut to fit the inside basically just to keep the pond liner from bulging out the seems.

The most cost effective and simple thing you can do is just get a clean 275g IBC tote and cut the top off of it. Usually available in relatively populated areas via craigslist for $75-125 each.

Doesn't look nearly as nice as those landscape timber builds though!

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay to build that? I want to do that!!!!!

NatureFish
????

I'm not really certain on the final cost. It was a couple years ago and being tight on funds I bought stuff over a few weeks. Landscape timbers discounted pre-garden season. Cheapo pond liner from eBay. Probably no more than $150 but that's obviously not including diy filtration which I pretty much had everything for.

Landscape timbers are around $5-6 here at normal price and 3/4 Osb 4x8 sheets around $15 each. I priced them out before I decided what materials to use to build mine.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

Landscape timbers are around $5-6 here at normal price and 3/4 Osb 4x8 sheets around $15 each. I priced them out before I decided what materials to use to build mine.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

That all sounds about right! I actually didn't even use that thick of plywood though. With the timbers in place I didn't feel it was necessary.

So do you guys think I could build this on a smaller scale-30 gallon and still not need a filter for a few fancy goldfish? My whole purpose of this is A: having 30 gallon without huge costs and B: not needing a filter.
I plan on having a pump for aeration and a water feature.

NatureFish
????

All that came up was ply wood frames for aquariums. That's not what I mean.

NatureFish
????

Ply wood aquariums are aquariums that are made out of sealed plywood but with a front pane of glass so that you can see into it.

Ohhhh geeeez...look on craigslist. You can probably find a deal on a 30g for under $30...or wait for Petco to have their $1 per gallon sales

Ohhhh geeeez...look on craigslist. You can probably find a deal on a 30g for under $30...or wait for Petco to have their $1 per gallon sales

I'm sorry I exaggerated on price, I just want a 30 g and I really just like the look of a wood container pond for indoors.

NatureFish
????

You can get a standard 29 at Walmart/meijer for $30 all the time. I used em for sumps when I set up my 40s. Don't think you can get many fancies in a 30 though, especially with out a filter. Just throwin it out there (not sure if it's a good idea, hopefully some one more knowledgable in fw can chime in) but what about some female betas, you could probably do a few of them.

That's cool I may try that but I just like the wood, it goes with my stuff. You are right bigredreef10, not many fancies could be in there without a filter so I may end up doing a 40 or 50 g.

NatureFish
????

I like doing DIY. And for those who followed on the ten gallon reef I'm going to start on that soon too.

I accidentally posted something twice and I don't know how to delete so I pressed edit and replaced it with this message

I'm slightly confused about this thread now? Is $budget$ the issue, or do you just like the idea of a wood tank? Why so against filtration? Really quite critical...

Back
Top Bottom