Crawfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbird08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We were wanting to get a crawfish or one of those small blue lobsters...any suggestions? We have one Molly, 2 Gourami, and 2 Platy in a 29 gal with plenty of hiding places. I want something else in there that will be neat to look at but not eat our fish so any advice would be great on what new critter yall think we should get that would be safe. Thanks :)

chances are it would eat your shrimp,but you can get mexican dwarf crays that are orange and wont eat fishh un less there really small,but your gouramis feelers might get nipped

tarpon said:
A crawdad would eat the smaller fish. Unless they were fast. So I've heard

I've heard the same but all of ours are pretty quick...

I'll have to look up the Mexican dwarf cray those sound neat! Thanks

I have an electric blue lobster and he's incredibly fast and quite large already while still an adolescent. No way I would keep him with fish. Keep in mine the size you see them for sale at is usually much smaller than their adult size. Depending on the species you end up with, they could grow up to 12". Clarkiis are smaller and a better choice, but still too dangerous for my taste. I do keep my CPO's with fish though. Those are the dwarf mexican cray. When looking them up be sure to search for "dwarf patz" and "CPO".. this is what they are commonly referred to as. I ordered mine on aquabid as I couldn't find them locally. They stay very small about 2" with very small pincers. I've kept them with even the tiniest of nano fish and never had any issues. :)

The fish aren't quick when they are sleeping, they'll get munched on at night by the larger crayfish species.
and when there awake:facepalm: my cray got more fish when they was awake than when they was sleeping

From my own personal experience your fish will go byebye if you put a crawfish in with them if you want a crawlfish get a second tank specificaly for crawlfish

If you like to provide fresh sushi for your crayfish to eat, then by all means get one. Otherwise I would get some shrimp instead. There are very few shrimp species that will go for fish and you don't see that long-armed variety very often.

Crayfish should either be kept in tank by themselves or as scavengers with much larger fish.

Back
Top Bottom