Crayfish - Aquarium Water Level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

punky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I just set up a 10g for a crayfish. Do I need to keep the water level a bit low for a crayfish or fill it up full like normal fish? Also does the crayfish need some hours of light?

Thanks.

I would assume a regular water level would be fine, but unless you have a hood over it you may want to keep it down a little bit because they have been known to leave the aquarium. A lower water level should help to prevent this from happening. I would also assume that 8-12 hours of daylight would be best for the crayfish.

Just curious, is it a regular one or a blue one?

That's cool. I hadn't realized that there were blue ones until about 6 months ago. I wanted one but it probably would have eaten my fish.

I kept a blue lobster and a zebar lobster, with the latter living for 2 years. They don't need any special accomodations, except that you keep a sturdy lid on as they like to escape and wander about the floors. Both escaped several times.

Also, don't keep small fish that they can catch with them. Bottom dwellers, like botias and clown loaches follow suit. The one blue I had caught and literally ate the 4" clown I had; I never saw him again!

Give the little guy a house of flat rocks set against each other for shelter, like a home!
Mine enjoyed shrimp pellets the best; they both went nuts for that stuff!

They are great little critters; they'll quickly become the most interesting of the tank!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom