Crayfish help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I noticed several brown spots on my electric blue crayfish

After some research I found that this is called shell rott?

How harmful is this disease?

How do I treat it?

It is in a 10gal with a fluval 30 filter

I currently do a 25% water change weekly

FYI I have other tropical fish in the tank

Shell rot is caused by a fungus. Sounds like your water parameters shouldn't have been the cause, but overcrowding could be an issue. Also, high water temperatures could be a problem.

There is not an actual "cure" for the disease, but you can treat it with a salt bath. Read this very good article: Using Salt | Chasin' Crays

When the crayfish eventually molts again, he will be healed. Still leave the shell in the tank though, even though it's infected he will not contract the disease again that way and he needs the calcium from the shell. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Well heres my steup

10 gallons
Fluval 30 filter (marked for 10-30gallons)

X4 apple snail
X2 pristilla tetras
X3 leopord danios
X1 julidochromis
And the cray

Is that overcrowded?

Well heres my steup

10 gallons
Fluval 30 filter (marked for 10-30gallons)

X4 apple snail
X2 pristilla tetras
X3 leopord danios
X1 julidochromis
And the cray

Is that overcrowded?

I'd say so.

They're always eating I would put one in a 10 gal

Ok, so now I feel really stupid, they told me at my lfs I could put a snail and couple of ghost shrimp in my bettas in their 2.5 gal tanks, which I did. I also have 2 very small filtered tanks that are only 1 gal each with a betta, snail and ghost shrimp (was advised to do so there as well). There is soooooo much in conflicting messages and options takes hrs to decipher and ... still find out you screwed up! All my tanks are heavily planted (live plants of course!) with lights, filters and heated. My lfs people know what I have as I get most of my stuff there. Been testing water every couple of days, the highest ammonia I had was 0.5 on one of the tanks at one point but recently since added snails I've had 0.25 at the highest and water changes fixes it. Now you left me here with the dilemma, of what will I do with 8 pretty apple and 2 (1zebra and 1tiger) nerite snails?..... Will they do ok in unfiltered planted bowls? And how big does the bowl have to be?

In this particular set up who in the tank puts out so much as bioload to overcrowd it? Not too long ago I got some advise on similar stocking (not from AA)

Definitely the Apple Snails.

Ok, so now I feel really stupid, they told me at my lfs I could put a snail and couple of ghost shrimp in my bettas in their 2.5 gal tanks, which I did. I also have 2 very small filtered tanks that are only 1 gal each with a betta, snail and ghost shrimp (was advised to do so there as well). There is soooooo much in conflicting messages and options takes hrs to decipher and ... still find out you screwed up! All my tanks are heavily planted (live plants of course!) with lights, filters and heated. My lfs people know what I have as I get most of my stuff there. Been testing water every couple of days, the highest ammonia I had was 0.5 on one of the tanks at one point but recently since added snails I've had 0.25 at the highest and water changes fixes it. Now you left me here with the dilemma, of what will I do with 8 pretty apple and 2 (1zebra and 1tiger) nerite snails?..... Will they do ok in unfiltered planted bowls? And how big does the bowl have to be?

I saw a $10 10 gallon glass tank at Walmart the other day!

They should be fine snails will leave the water if it is unhealthy

So i went to the lfs and the local fish guru told me to use a tetra product called "reptoguard" so i thought it wouldnt hurt to use it

Is this a legitimate solution?

It i formulated to treat TURTLE shell rot so will it work well with my cray and not harm my cichlids?

Back
Top Bottom