Crayfish in feeder tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forester

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I have a 20g feeder tank and I was wondering if I could get a crayfish in there to eat the dead and sick ones so they don't go to waste. I do have a black kuhli in there would the Cray eat him if he will should I move the kuhli to my 30g that has gravel. Thanks in advance.

The Alive feeders might also be considered 'prey'. Once they are still at night (lights off), the crayfish could quickly grab them. So.....not only will he eat the dead ones, but he might also eat the live ones. What kind of feeders do you have?

The khulis would have to be out, the crayfish could also get them (day or night). Gravel should do, just make sure none of it has any sharp edges that could cut the khulis bellies.

Thanks I'll move the kuhli tomorrow and get the Cray. is there any difference if I get an electric blue or a regular.

Forester said:
Thanks I'll move the kuhli tomorrow and get the Cray. is there any difference if I get an electric blue or a regular.

Luckily they're the same, I have an electric blue. They have a bigger price though, for me 37$ more. It is worth every penny though. Have hiding places for it and it probably won't kill many live ones

Forester said:
Thanks for the reply fishfan at my lfs they have some baby blues for only $5.

Nice get one that moves a lot. You can also feed them different thing. I feed mine a mixture of peas, potatoes, blanched spinach, and shrimp pellets. Just chop it up. Put it into a sandwich bag and lay it flat in the freezer. When you want to feed them just break of a chunk and watch. It us very interesting to see them walk and eat.

Forester said:
Thanks I'll try that mixture I should be getting it soon.

Yup it should do well you could even put it in a 10 gal, but that Is minimum

I have a cray that recently lost one of his big claws and a leg how often do they molt and when they do I'm assuming that the new appendages are going to be smaller? Can anyone help out with some info?

shadyfish said:
I have a cray that recently lost one of his big claws and a leg how often do they molt and when they do I'm assuming that the new appendages are going to be smaller? Can anyone help out with some info?

I am not really sure. Do u have any other fish? How long have you had the tank/ lobster?

Fishfan321 said:
I am not really sure. Do u have any other fish? How long have you had the tank/ lobster?

I've had the tank since Dec 2010 and the cray has only been in since 3 weeks ago

How hard is the water? How much protein are you feeding? When you feed a high protein diet, the crawfish (I'm from the south, forgive me) will grow too fast for its own natural molting schedule. The new exoskeleton that lays just beneath the new exoskeleton will be undevloped and too thin;thus when it molts, bye bye appendages. Likewise, a diet too high in calcium or in hard water will cause the shell to be TOO hard and the craw won't be able to pull out properly.

If you're looking for something to cacasses try a bunch of MTS. Maybe a ~100 or so. That'll clear everything up. Expect your dead fish to look like balls of spikes.

Forester said:
I'm getting a 6 inch long crayfish on Friday! I'm really happy thankyou for the advice.

Make sure you have something for it to hide in

Forester said:
I have a nice big piece of malaysian driftwood. Thanks for the advice.

Nice, that should work well. I have mine in an African cichlid tank which has a lot of rock in it.
He isn't bothered and the cichlids are happy

Back
Top Bottom