Crazy guppy! Ugh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I took my bully rosy barb back to LFS and got a fancy goldfish instead. I don't like watching fish chase each other around all the time and thought I had solved my problem by getting rid of the chaser. It has been three days and things were good, until this morning when the guppy decided he needed to be boss of the fancy goldfish and the lyretail molly. There are only 4 fish in this 20 gallon tank and none of them are close to being full grown (the fancy is only about 1 1/2 inches, the molly about 2, and the BN pleco about 2 1/2).

Can the guppy do any damage to the other fish? He did kill off another guppy one time so he has it in him. I fed them thinking that might help, but he is still being aggressive.

Should I get him out of there or wait a few days to see if things settle down?

Your goldfish has entirely different needs than your other fish for starters one of them being 20 gallons for a single because of their large bioload and cold water temps. Even though your fish are small now they will become a problem pretty quick. I would rehome or return the goldfish. Guppys are known to chase and harass anything that moves, they're generally not being mean, most just try to mate with anything that swims. Research all fish needs before you purchase anything else and try to get something that's a better match for what your plans for the tank are

Zimmanski said:
Your goldfish has entirely different needs than your other fish for starters one of them being 20 gallons for a single because of their large bioload and cold water temps. Even though your fish are small now they will become a problem pretty quick. I would rehome or return the goldfish. Guppys are known to chase and harass anything that moves, they're generally not being mean, most just try to mate with anything that swims. Research all fish needs before you purchase anything else and try to get something that's a better match for what your plans for the tank are

I agree either rehome the goldfish or rehome everything else. Do you have a heater?

Besides being coldwater fish and not suitable to keep with tropical fish, goldies produce copious amounts of waste and excrete alot of ammonia. They need to be fed sinking pellets because if forced to eat from the surface they swallow too much air and can cause swim bladder issues. That is just the tip of the iceberg why it needs to be returned.

guppies can also pick on goldfish slime which is not good for goldfish

twoodrough said:
I took my bully rosy barb back to LFS and got a fancy goldfish instead. I don't like watching fish chase each other around all the time and thought I had solved my problem by getting rid of the chaser. It has been three days and things were good, until this morning when the guppy decided he needed to be boss of the fancy goldfish and the lyretail molly. There are only 4 fish in this 20 gallon tank and none of them are close to being full grown (the fancy is only about 1 1/2 inches, the molly about 2, and the BN pleco about 2 1/2).

Can the guppy do any damage to the other fish? He did kill off another guppy one time so he has it in him. I fed them thinking that might help, but he is still being aggressive.

Should I get him out of there or wait a few days to see if things settle down?

As everyone has already said, the goldfish has much different tank requirements than all of your other fish. Mollies and guppies are schooling fish, so only having one really isn't good for them, as they are very gregarious. Male guppies are really aggressive fish. Because they're small, people forget this. If you had one male guppy and probably 5 females, he would be a little (little being the key word) bit better. I have fancy guppies and I haven't had a serious problem. Once they get their pecking order worked out, they're usually pretty peaceful.

So basically take the goldfish back and get some female guppies. Or take both the male guppy and the goldfish back and while at the store write down the names of fish you see that you like, come home and research to see if they are peaceful community fish that are the proper size for your tank, then make a decision to buy what is best.

Back
Top Bottom