Crazy weekend!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
Saturday (3/12) started out pretty well. Had a party in the evening for my youngest son's birthday (3/13, he's two!). Cleaned up the party mess and had all children in bed sleeping finally between 9-10pm. Decided to sit and read a book to get a few minutes of quiet before going to bed. About an hour goes by and suddenly I hear this strange sound coming from the dining room. Go in a flip on the light...water is pouring out of the ceiling fan! I grabbed some pots and sat them under the fan to catch the mess, then ran upstairs...turns out my 8 year old Cole's 20 gal is leaking water at the base molding. Grabbed his PWC bucket and siphoned water out of his tank into the bucket, netted all of his fish into the bucket, threw in his heater and then jumped in the car. By this time it is 11:30pm-12am, so my only choice was to go to Walmart. Of course, the largest size glass aquarium they carry in store is a 10 gallon. Grab it, pay for it, and rush home. Scooped as much as of his gravel out of the 20 as I could and filled up the new tank. Put his filter and heater on and put the fish in there until morning. His tank sits on my other son's (6yrs) dresser, so all of his brother's clothes were soaking wet. Finally mopped all the water in the bedroom/on the dresser, got all of the wet clothes down to the washer, and then cleaned up the mess all over my kitchen table downstairs in the dining room. By the time I went to bed, it was 2am! Got up this morning and headed out. Went to Petco, then Petsmart. Neither had 20 gallon highs. Went to the Petco on the other side of town..no luck there either. Found a Mom n Pop fish store near the 2nd Petco...they had one left. ($40! I only paid $20 for my 20 gallon brand new at a $1 per gallon sale!) Get the tank in the truck (by this time it's Noon!) start heading toward home to grab some lunch and I get a call on my cell phone. I had emailed a guy last Monday about a 10 gal aquarium stand he had listed on Craigslist as a Tv stand for $10 under Furniture. (I have no 10 gallon, but $10 seemed too amazing to pass up!) He wants to meet, so instead of heading home, I head for the opposite side of town. (Who needs to eat?!) Meet the guy and get the stand for $10...Didn't even argue the price! He still had the aquarium (it was set up for hermit crabs) he bought with it, so he threw that in for free. My boys had taken over my 5 gal hospital tank as a terrarium for their own hermit crabs a while back, so when we got home we switched everything in the 5 gallon terrarium over the 10 gallon terrarium. Dumped the rest of the substrate from my oldest son's leaking 20 gallon (which was in the bath tub this whole time...luckily once the water had gotten down to about 2inches, it stopped leaking so profusely). Moved his plants and fish out of the temporary 10 gallon and into the new 20 gallon we bought. (All are seemingly fine, so far!) While all of this is going on, my 2 year old is in the living room playing with my husband and my 4 year old. He grabs a toy and climbs up at my computer desk and accidentally bangs the toy on my brand new (got it for Christmas) desktop computer screen. Which is now blinking while I type. I have no idea if I can (don't even want to think about it!) get it replaced or not..but this has been one exhausting, EXPENSIVE day. {sigh} I spent my baby's birthday running around with my head cut off trying to fix things for my oldest son. At least all my children are happy right? (My 6 year old is claiming the new 10 gal and the tank stand. lol) Just completely thankful that all the water seems to have found the hole in the wall for the ceiling fan and leaked out into my dining room instead of making a puddle on/in the ceiling. I think I'd pull all of my hair out if I had water stains to deal with yet. Tomorrow will be better, right? :silly:

Our new 10 gallon Craigslist tank/stand:

img_1252935_0_1ffe063d5f2fbe08bf9922b92f505937.jpg

Thanks...I'm hoping we didn't lose too much bacteria since we put almost all of the old substrate in the new tank. <keeping my fingers crossed!>

If it had happened just a half an hour later, I'd have probably been in bed and my son would have woken up this morning with dead fish :(

Coleallensmom said:
Thanks...I'm hoping we didn't lose too much bacteria since we put almost all of the old substrate in the new tank. <keeping my fingers crossed!>

If it had happened just a half an hour later, I'd have probably been in bed and my son would have woken up this morning with dead fish :(

Aww, that's great you caught it in time! Keep us updated !

Oh my alisha....you are one hero mama....but now you have new tanks to build and your eldest will be re-aquascaping his new tank...it will make them busy for a bit I guess...I am so sorry to hear about your desktop though...I hope everything will be much better in the next few days...:) hang in there sister.

Thanks, daileene! My day as a whole pretty much stunk..and to top it off, when I picked up the leaky 20 gal to dump the substrate in the new 20 gal, the whole bottom molding just fell right off and I cut my finger pretty deeply on the glass. Hurts! :rolleyes: The rest of the week has got to better, right?

My 6 year old IS pretty excited about his new tank (and I have to admit it was an awesome deal for the stand). Just thankful my dining room light/fan is still working (for now anyway) after the drenching it received.

Wow! I thought I had a hectic life! lol WTG on catching the leak before you went to bed... lucky, lucky, lucky! Yes, that deserved me typing "lucky" in triplicate. ;)

Hope you get your kids' tanks under control and life goes back to normal for ya! That's just way too much for a mama to handle!

Thanks, daileene! My day as a whole pretty much stunk..and to top it off, when I picked up the leaky 20 gal to dump the substrate in the new 20 gal, the whole bottom molding just fell right off and I cut my finger pretty deeply on the glass. Hurts! :rolleyes: The rest of the week has got to better, right?

Wow, how old was that 20g tank for it to have fallen apart like that?

My 6 year old IS pretty excited about his new tank (and I have to admit it was an awesome deal for the stand). Just thankful my dining room light/fan is still working (for now anyway) after the drenching it received.

You are very welcome...but really I feel for you...take care of yourself dear.

I can only imagine his excitement...that 10G tank and stand looks awesome...hope he will enjoy it for a long time...good thing that your fan/light is still working...:)

Wow! I thought I had a hectic life! lol WTG on catching the leak before you went to bed... lucky, lucky, lucky! Yes, that deserved me typing "lucky" in triplicate. ;)

Hope you get your kids' tanks under control and life goes back to normal for ya! That's just way too much for a mama to handle!

Oh, I agree (lucky!). If I didn't have such a bad habit of staying up late to get some quiet before bedtime, I wouldn't have been awake when the water started leaking downstairs. Things definitely could have been worse!

Everything is better today. (Well, except for my blinking computer screen that I don't have $ to replace. lol) My finger still hurts like the dickens and I still have a tons of laundry to do, but all the messes are cleaned up and my ceiling fan is back together (yesterday we ate dinner in the dark! lol)

Wow, how old was that 20g tank for it to have fallen apart like that?

I have no clue! I bought a new 20 gal for myself back in January when Petco was having their $1 per gallon sale and bought a tank stand for it from someone I found through Craigslist. I had told the seller that I didn't want his tank, just the stand...but he ended up giving us the tank in question for free, so I decided my son could have it. I had noticed just recently that the bottom molding didn't seem to be as tight as it should be, but I was shocked when it fell off yesterday!

I have no clue! I bought a new 20 gal for myself back in January when Petco was having their $1 per gallon sale and bought a tank stand for it from someone I found through Craigslist. I had told the seller that I didn't want his tank, just the stand...but he ended up giving us the tank in question for free, so I decided my son could have it. I had noticed just recently that the bottom molding didn't seem to be as tight as it should be, but I was shocked when it fell off yesterday!

I bought my 20g high during that exact same sale at PetCo, along with several hundred dollars worth of other necessary aquarium items. I'm sure PetCo was more than happy to sell their $1 per gallon tank to me. :p

I bought my tank stand there as well; it was a discontinued wooden stand that comes close to matching the room where I put it in. I originally bought a pressed wood DIY stand at PetSmart, but it didn't fit together right and I returned it. I don't know if I trust many stands beyond a solid wood or metal stand for a 20+ gallon tank; they weigh at least 200 lbs, after all.

I'd trust DIY furniture from Ikea before any from the chain stores. In fact, that's what I have my 10g tank on: an Expedit 2x2 shelf.

Hope everything but your fish remains dry! :D

I bought my 20g high during that exact same sale at PetCo, along with several hundred dollars worth of other necessary aquarium items. I'm sure PetCo was more than happy to sell their $1 per gallon tank to me. :p

I bought my tank stand there as well; it was a discontinued wooden stand that comes close to matching the room where I put it in. I originally bought a pressed wood DIY stand at PetSmart, but it didn't fit together right and I returned it. I don't know if I trust many stands beyond a solid wood or metal stand for a 20+ gallon tank; they weigh at least 200 lbs, after all.

I'd trust DIY furniture from Ikea before any from the chain stores. In fact, that's what I have my 10g tank on: an Expedit 2x2 shelf.

Hope everything but your fish remains dry! :D

Three of my tanks- a 37 gallon, my 20 gallon, and the new 10 gallon are all on solid wood aquarium stands. My son's 20 gallon is on the dresser as mentioned, but it is a fairly expensive special order wood changing table/dresser combo piece that went through four babies and is quite sturdy.

Back
Top Bottom