Critters in the sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkmrsteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just noticed these guys, along with a few others in the refuge.

These two are redish in color, long slender bodys with what look like hairs trailing behind them. Just found them deep in the sand on the edge of the tank. Thought about pulling um to the refuge, but saw a few things hopping on my live rocks, and decided to leave them.

ForumRunner_20120621_020501.jpg

Other guys I don't have a pic of, but I see them in the refuge. They look like long cintapeids, with red bodys.

Bristleworms.

Google them. Pretty common. Careful not to touch them. Those hairs you see are like fiberglass and they hurt.

My advice would be to remove them. They can become a problem down the road if nutrients get out of control. Also some can grow very large and even kill fish. Such as when the are sleeping or if they are weak from being sick or cornered somehow. Not usually that serious but its happened. They make my skin crawl most of the time. I spent about 6 hours one night trapping them in a buddies tank. Caught 27 lol.

Many people view them as beneficial due to the fact they are scavengers and will get left over food and eat poo etc however that can also make them opportunistic when large.

Boy am I glad you posted back to me. I was about to lift them out of the sand with my hand and dump them in the refuge!

I'll be getting arrow shrimp soon as the tank is ready for them, so it should give them a little something to eat, and leave it alone for now.

Thanks,

Bkmrsteel said:
Boy am I glad you posted back to me. I was about to lift them out of the sand with my hand and dump them in the refuge!

I'll be getting arrow shrimp soon as the tank is ready for them, so it should give them a little something to eat, and leave it alone for now.

Thanks,

Lol yeah fireworms are the real nasty one. Do a google search and you will probably see pics of peoples hand afterward. Its not really dangerous but it does suck if you get them in your skin.

There are a few species that eat them. Im not sure about arrow crabs, have never owned one.

Yeah I found pics of peoples hands, looks nasty! That's where I found that arrow shrimp will eat them. Also found a goby eating them.

Bkmrsteel said:
Yeah I found pics of peoples hands, looks nasty! That's where I found that arrow shrimp will eat them. Also found a goby eating them.

Cool, good luck!

Arrow crabs will eat them, if they can catch them. I had an Arrow for about a year, and I saw him chowing down on one once,
Not sure about the six-line, although I've been told the 8-line wrasse will eat them.
The bristles aren't necessarily bad, you just don't want a population explosion. A giant population typically means you are feeding too much, or not maintaining enough.

kdpuffer said:
I believe the six line wrasse eats them also.

Yes this is true, however ive never actually witnessed this with mine but he always has a huge belly. I cant see them eating larger ones tho probably only smaller ones.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom