Crushed whisper filter screen!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DugOut

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was in the process of cleaning my tank and equipment when I accidently dropped the intake tube screen (the piece that keeps the fish from being sucked up) off of my whisper filter and when I step back to see where it landed, I accidently stepped on it. I checked Petsmart, Superpetz and several other pet stores including Ebay and no one seems to carry replacements. Any clues where I my locate this screen or am I out of luck? I thought about making one out of something less breakable but no idea where to start. :?

dont worry about it too much, you can just slip a piece of panty hose over the inlet tube.. or if you want a more efficient pre-filter get some sponge and wrap it around the hole and tie it with some fishing line..

Will pantyhose slow down the water flow through the filter. I tried to use some plastic window screen but the screen for some ungodly reason slowed the intake.

It will slow it down once debris starts to get clogged on it. I would try finding a replacement part. Check your smaller mom and pop places, they tend to have replacement parts. What model do you have?

I have the whisper 2 filter for 40-60 gallons. I would rather go with the regular that was on it, its just shocking to me that this plastic is so thin and breakabe but yet the stores offer pretty much everything but this piece. There isn't many more Mom & Pop Shops around since the big retail stores toke over, Well not atleast in this neck of the woods.

Wow, That was pretty quick searching on your part. I saved it in my favorites so I can go about ordering. "Thanks alot"!! I have to much money invested in the apperance of my tank to have it ugly up with rigging. :p

i would still put a sponge pre-filter on it.. i did it to my aqua-clear 70 and it cuts down on the cleaning i have to do on the media inside... it keeps all that uneaten food from building up inside.. just a thought.

What type of sponge are we talking about??? I'll give it a try with my 10gal feeder fish aquarium. Those guys are filthy little critters. (like most gold fish are). I didn't mean for that to sound rude and I apologize if I stepped on anyones fish toes. My bass tank seems to stay crystal clear, I just can't keep a food supply of fish in the tank till I get my replacement filter strainer. I used rich311k's link and ordered a few. "Thanks for your suggestion"!!!

i just use any kind of sponge that ment for replacing filtermedia, i cut it so i can make a slit in the center but make sure i leave at least 1/2 inch on both sides.

How often should I change the sponge? I hope my fish doesn't eat at it, thinking that it is food.

I like this idea! by the way, why is this topic no longer listed in the general disscusion? I'm new to all this!

Back
Top Bottom