crypts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medge00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
do crypts flower? I have this plant, I thought it was a crypt, but I never knew they flowered.... it sent a runner to the top of the tank yesterday, then today there's a wee flower like thing on it. Kinda cool. I'll find a digi and post some picks.

Yes they do. I haven't had one flower in my tank but I think they make a small jack-in-the-pulpit type flower. Some will even make flowers underwater.

Yes....Cryptocoryne do flower but it sound to me that you're more likely describing the flower of an Aponogeton of some sort.

savga is correct in describing the Cryptocoryne flower as being like a Jack-in-the-Pulpit flower. Here's a picture of Cryptocoryne aponogetifolia that flowered in my aquarium:

cryptflower.jpg

Aponogeton flowers are generally produced on long stalks that reach the surface of the aquarium and then bear elongated single- or two-lobed flowers that look like little spikes.

You're so right, medge00! I love it when my plants flower in my tank. I had an Aponogeton ulvaceus that flowered constantly and it was a real source of enjoyment! Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the flowers.

Hahahah I'm such a nerd, cuz I'm so excited about this flower. I tried to snap a photo, but its sooo small, none of my cameras will focus on it. Its very cool though.

Back
Top Bottom