cured liverock and quick cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok I bought cured liverock, out of a display tank, so I know that should lower my cycle time, but I just finished testing waters, and ammonia was less than .1, nitrites .01, and nitrates at 5. I know this doesnt mean it is completely done, but it looks like alot of progress. These seem normal using cured liverock?

Have you "fed" the tank? You will need an ammonia source in order for the cycle to complete.

what do ya mean? I have put some brine shrimp in the tank a few times for hte hitchikers to eat.

Jarred Darque said:
what do ya mean? I have put some brine shrimp in the tank a few times for hte hitchikers to eat.
That sounds good.

your test results have two decimal points, what test kits are you using

used liquid for the ammonia and nitrite, my liquid kit didnt have a nitrate though... so I need to buy one.

I used well established LS and cured LR on my last two nanos and had no cycle at all. It was like an instant tank

ok thanks. :) At least I dont feel like everything is out to get me including my test kit. :/

lando said:
I used well established LS and cured LR on my last two nanos and had no cycle at all. It was like an instant tank
Same with my last 2 nanos... glad to hear someone else say it.

I didn't have a cycle on the 125gal tank either, but it was established for a year when I bought it and I splurged on the refrigerated live bacteria when I set it back up.

The only tank that had a cycle was my first nano when I decided to change the substrate from the larger reef LS to the dry white fine sand... instant and massive cycle!

Back
Top Bottom