current too strong: is it OK to do this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firteen888

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

Finally got some fish in my tank! While they all seem to be doing ok, the current of my filters (I have one on each side of a 29 gallon tank, Aquaclear 50 & Aquean 30) seem to be making it difficult for the neon tetras to swim. They struggle to swim against the current and when they stop swimming for a second, slowly get pushed in the opposite direction. It doesn't seem TOO bad for them, as there are places in the tank that they can go to get away from the current, but I would still like to fix the issue if possible, so....

What I would like to do, is stuff a filter sponge into the filter OUTTAKE (I already have one on the filter intake) to break up the flow somewhat. Would this be ok or would it lead to any issues? I figure this method would still allow the water to come out but it would significantly break up the heavy flow. I'm aware of the bottle trick, but I would like to avoid that method as it just doesn't look very good, and I like a clean setup.

let me know what you think!

Thanks,

If you want to, you can adjust the flow rate on the Aquaclear 50. All you have to do is move the intake tube to the right where it meets the impeller housing.

I have the same question too!! My internal Fluval has a pretty good adjustable system, right now I have it on high for fishless, but I'm not too concerned about it. The AquaClear 20 HOB though, even at it's weakest setting is still pouring out a good amount of water (the plants on that side are blowing in the current lol). I'd like to know how to reduce the flow on this too; I would think a sponge would work although being a noob I'd need detailed instructions on how to use it :) . If you do find a solution please let me know what you did so I can do the same.

Hope you're enjoying your new fishies!

If you want to, you can adjust the flow rate on the Aquaclear 50. All you have to do is move the intake tube to the right where it meets the impeller housing.

Thanks, We know that the filter is adjustable, but the difference in adjustment is very minimal. My filter is already at the lower setting and still has a very strong flow. Like Libraygirl said, my plant is blowing in the current. I'm just wondering if the sponge idea I mention above would be OK to do. It seems like the best and easiest solution to the problem.

My plants blow in the current some too, it's not really a big deal. Like Rich said, your neons shouldn't have any trouble but if you want to cut the flow more I don't see why the sponge idea wouldn't work. :)

I uses the 2liter bottle cut up method so the flow goes to the sides instead of banging into the water. Works pretty well for me.

I know the 2 liter bottle method works, I tried it out but I just don't like the way it looks. I'm gonna give the sponge a shot and see how it works out. I'm sure the fish would be fine without it, but maybe it'll make things a bit more enjoyable for them.

I personally don't think it's anything to be concerned about. Since your fish have only been in the tank for a few hours, I'm sure they're still acclimating and aren't showing their normal behavior yet.

In my 46 gallon I've got a Fluval 405 pumping out some current, and all my fish including Danios, Tetras, Bolivian Ram, even the Otos like to fight their way up into the stream where the current is strongest, and then turn around and ride it down like a roller coaster. :)

like to fight their way up into the stream where the current is strongest, and then turn around and ride it down like a roller coaster.

Haha, so maybe my fish enjoy doing this. Even the catfish were getting in on the action I noticed. Trying their hardest to make it past the the current. maybe I'll give it a few days and see if it looks like they're getting stressed from it before I do anything.

Back
Top Bottom