Cuttle bone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've read that some people keep cuddle bone in their shrimp/snail tanks for calcium, anyone here do that? Does the cuddle bone turn soft or otherwise pollute your tank? I have no idea if I have enough calcium in my tank, so I make sure to feed them some foods with high calcium, but should I also add a cuddle bone? Another question is if I should get it, should i place it in my filter or actually in the tank it's self so the shrimp/snails can eat it?

On a side note, I have just seen my first baby MTS yay! Yeah I know some people will think I'm nuts for being excited about that but I'm hoping they explode, so my assassin snails can eat them. :)

I'll be interested in this answer, too.

About MTS.. When they explode, if given enough food, they literally explode. A few batches of babies will fill a 10g wall.

Assassins will not keep up with them, I don't think.. Keep us posted. I'm sure you don't overfeed, so no worries.

What my plan is, get them to explode, take a few of those babies and toss them in a 5 gallon bucket outside, get some green water going and loads of MTS for feeders. When I was at my LFS I seen some dwarf puffers......I'm already planning on a new tank hahaha. I have so many plans right now son of a.....I am going to need ALOT more tanks....I'm also debating on bamboo shrimp *sigh* someone stop me!

I might be the opposite! I want to perfect a tiny tank. I want to move my current setup to a Fluval Spec, I think.

I'll set up my 5G on my dresser to see if it can sustain itself with only monthly maint. I'll setup a Spec thread if I get one :D help me find a good deal. Fluval = $$$$$

You can also sell your MTS. I love the DP idea. So many things I will do when I have a house. Lol

Very hard!

Sakes attractive solution? Multiple tank syndrome, buy all tanks, buy all micro fish. Lol.

So I've read that some people keep cuddle bone in their shrimp/snail tanks for calcium, anyone here do that? Does the cuddle bone turn soft or otherwise pollute your tank? I have no idea if I have enough calcium in my tank, so I make sure to feed them some foods with high calcium, but should I also add a cuddle bone? Another question is if I should get it, should i place it in my filter or actually in the tank it's self so the shrimp/snails can eat it?

On a side note, I have just seen my first baby MTS yay! Yeah I know some people will think I'm nuts for being excited about that but I'm hoping they explode, so my assassin snails can eat them. :)

I've been reading about it. Cuttle Bone ( from Cuttle Fish ) are not supposed to pollute. I'm going to try a piece in one of my tanks for one of my Horned Nerites. They often get holes in their shells from lack of Calcium or other minerals. I will be adding it directly to the tank, so they can graze on it if needed. No idea how well it will work.

I have cuttlefish bone in all of my tanks with shrimp or snails. It stays hard and does not pollute the water at all. It's slowly worn down and I'm now about to replace those I put in the tank 3 months ago.

I have cuttlefish bone in all of my tanks with shrimp or snails. It stays hard and does not pollute the water at all. It's slowly worn down and I'm now about to replace those I put in the tank 3 months ago.

+1

You can also find cuttle bone in your grocery store's pet section. Don't put the whole thing in the tank. Break off about a dime-size piece. I have them directly in my tanks that have either shrimp or snails. Can't tell by looking at the shrimp, but I've noticed a remarkable difference in my snail shells. Amazing.

Great info! This is so helpful, especially since I want a horned nerite.

Just for the record, cuddlebone floats...at least has been for 15 minutes hope it sinks lol

Well you could.....

For the record how long does a pieced one piece of cuttlebone last?

I grind up cuttle bone and sprinkle it in my shrimp tank once a month. It's a 10g, I only use a piece the size of a pinky nail (when I trim my nails that is)

I think I am going to buy a bone tomorrow and put it in my shrimp tank. And also some in my main tank with some mystery snails.

Back
Top Bottom