cycle a tank with cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crb530

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello i just bought a 37 gallon tank that i want to put cichlids in and i was wondering if i could cycle the tank with them in there or should i wait a month of so and use comunity fish

It is best to cycle without fish less headache and work. It will be worth in the long run. What type of cichlids are you thinking about?

ok sound good might be hard for me just cause i have no pacents and im always doing something with my tanks

i am going to do assorted africans

the tank they are going in is a talk show tank so i am looking for a fish that will be in the top half

i had a friend that did blood fin tetras which i have in my other tank and the do fine with the chiclits

i was also wondering how meny chiclits i can do

its a 37 gallon tank with 20 gallon sump with a 400gph pump and i also have a 200gph bio wheel

the appeal of cycling without fish is that your parameters can go haywire at different times... i.e. high ammonia... super high nitrIte and super high nitrAte... if you have fish in there youll have to do water changes to keep them alive... if you do it with NO fish these parameters can go through their natural progression without the risk of losing fish. you can watch the parameters go all over the place without having to change the water. therefore you can let it go and it wont take as long and you dont have to worry about losing your fish. it really is a great way to do things. you have a few weeks of testing and watching parameters while your tank sits empty but after all is said and done you can fully or nearly fully stock your tank with no ill effects. just food for thought

And if you seed your tank with a good bacteria source you can get through the cycle in less than 2 weeks.

i put my filter from my cycled tank into the new one will that help it out at all

alright sweet sounds good

also another question one of my cichlids in my other tank is now not eating and hidding alot could it have babies and how would i know its an eletrice blue i have two of them

Back
Top Bottom