cycle finished. Now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new tank

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my tanks pretty muched finisged cycling. Dosed ammonia 24hours ago and test now reads 0 and 0.1 nitrites and 10 on my nitrates scales.
Gunna go buy some green barbs (8)
Once fish are in do i need to dose anything anymore?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't say your cycle is yet finished, there needs to be no ammonia or nitrite present after 24 hours, your will likely be nearing the end but keep doing what your are doing and wait for ammonia and NO2 to dissapear within 24hr,

Ok
Could i not get the barbs anyway as its so close to the end of cycling and people use barbs for doing fish-inn cycling?
With them inn, would they not replace the need for dosing ammonia?

Take your time, there is no point in getting the barbs already, you've done fishless thus far and continuing fishless will mean it's done quicker. Patience is the key.

Is your nitrite 1.0 or 0.1? If it's the latter I would say it's just fine to add fish assuming you don't stock to full right off the bat. Your stock won't produce anywhere near 4.0ppm of ammonia daily.

If i did get them then, would i still dose a small amount too then every other day?

Ok, cheers for feedback guys. Gunna leave it for today and test water again tomorrow n see where i stand then.

Id say go ahead and start stocking as well. Stop dosing ammonia once fish are in. Just watch parameters and do water changes as needed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom