Cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do you think it is a good idea to bring some of my bio filter over to my new tank to help cycle and has anybody ever done this?

Seeding a new filter with some media from an established tanks filter is a good way to speed up the new tanks cycling process.

Just make sure to take a small amount of media as too much could make the established tank have a mini cycle.

Jon

jondamon said:
Seeding a new filter with some media from an established tanks filter is a good way to speed up the new tanks cycling process.

Just make sure to take a small amount of media as too much could make the established tank have a mini cycle.

Jon

I'm taking my smaller bio filter and leaving the bigger one. I will be watching both tanks parameters and all that good jazz.

Thanks too!

Seeding a New Tank

Do you think it is a good idea to bring some of my bio filter over to my new tank to help cycle and has anybody ever done this?

Hello R...

Absolutely. If you have an established (cycled) tank, then it will have good bacteria living on all surfaces inside it. Transfer a little media, gravel, a decoration and even trim a plant or two. Any or all of these will speed the cycling process of your new tank.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello R...

Absolutely. If you have an established (cycled) tank, then it will have good bacteria living on all surfaces inside it. Transfer a little media, gravel, a decoration and even trim a plant or two. Any or all of these will speed the cycling process of your new tank.

B

Also if anybody is reading this for research do NOT put anti-ammonia agent inside of your to be cycled tank only use dechloridnator for chloride.

Just trying to prevent mistakes for the future. And I always see this happen with ppl that stop by the lfs they put it in their to make it fish safe cause they don't want to wait 3-6 weeks.

And thanks to you B for your advise!

Back
Top Bottom