Cycle question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
So finally, my ammonia levels went down at 5ppm but my nitrites and nitrates are sky high, I know how the cycle works and all the ammonia will convert to nitrates and nitrites and when the cycle is over there will be none. So I did a 25-30% water change today because I was freaking out and there was a change in nitrites and nitrates. Unfortunately I found one of my favorite fish dead this morning and I am assuming it's because of the high nitrates and nitrites. So, my question is, should I keep doing daily water changes? Or is it normal that they are that high because of the cycle?

The ammonia is DOWN to 5 ppm? I believe it's lethal at 1 ppm, maybe less than that. Your tank is cycled when ammonia and nitrite are at zero ppm and nitrates are 10-20 ppm (value adjusted by water changes).
I recommend doing water changes daily, even 2-3 times a day until you bring these numbers down.
Edit: To answer your question, all three parameters can be elevated during cycling. Again, water changes are needed. Those are very bad conditions to keep fish in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This wouldn't be the 20 gal with angels would it??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The ammonia is DOWN to 5 ppm? I believe it's lethal at 1 ppm, maybe less than that. Your tank is cycled when ammonia and nitrite are at zero ppm and nitrates are 10-20 ppm (value adjusted by water changes).
I recommend doing water changes daily, even 2-3 times a day until you bring these numbers down.
Edit: To answer your question, all three parameters can be elevated during cycling. Again, water changes are needed. Those are very bad conditions to keep fish in.

Okay thank you very much :)

Fish In Tank Cycling

Hello brie...

When you cycle a tank using fish, you must test the tank water every day for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test, change out 25 percent of the tank water. Hopefully, you've selected hardy fish for this type of cycling. Platys, Rasboras, White Clouds, and Danios are at the top of the list. Others have a much smaller chance of surviving the nitrogen cycle.

I suggest adding some plants that are fast users of dissolved wastes in the tank. Hornwort and Anacharis are the best. Get as many stems of these plants as possible and just drop them into the tank.

In the mean time, test and replace a quarter of the tank water daily if necessary. When you have several daily tests with no traces of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled.

B

Hello brie...

When you cycle a tank using fish, you must test the tank water every day for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test, change out 25 percent of the tank water. Hopefully, you've selected hardy fish for this type of cycling. Platys, Rasboras, White Clouds, and Danios are at the top of the list. Others have a much smaller chance of surviving the nitrogen cycle.

I suggest adding some plants that are fast users of dissolved wastes in the tank. Hornwort and Anacharis are the best. Get as many stems of these plants as possible and just drop them into the tank.

In the mean time, test and replace a quarter of the tank water daily if necessary. When you have several daily tests with no traces of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled.

B

Thank you so much :) will get those plans ASAP! I was doing fine till the nitrates and nitrites increase for some strange reason.

I would do water changes before getting plants. True, plants consume nitrites and nitrates, but water changes will reduce it faster than that.
...I know how the cycle works and all the ammonia will convert to nitrates and nitrites and when the cycle is over there will be none...

To clarify this, ammonia is converted to nitrites which are then converted to nitrates. Nitrates will accumulate to toxic levels unless removed.

I would do water changes before getting plants. True, plants consume nitrites and nitrates, but water changes will reduce it faster than that.

To clarify this, ammonia is converted to nitrites which are then converted to nitrates. Nitrates will accumulate to toxic levels unless removed.

I've been doing water changes and it keeps the nitrates and nitrites at the same level. That's why I am trying to find another method.

How big of water changes and how far between are you testing?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The first was 50% and been doing 25% since ... I test the water every day, before and after water change. I just worry about my fish :(

You are using a liquid test kit, right? Not the strips? And currently what are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings along with pH? I'd say wait at least an hour or two before testing again after a water change, ideally about 24 hours.

I'm not sure why you were told to wait on getting plants, I'd add some in if you were planning on it anyways. They aren't a substitution for water changes but they will still be beneficial.

I was not telling to hold off putting in plants. Plants are a good thing. I was suggesting a more "please do this now" task of doing water changes since all three cycling parameters are elevated and at least one fish has already died.

You are using a liquid test kit, right? Not the strips? And currently what are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings along with pH? I'd say wait at least an hour or two before testing again after a water change, ideally about 24 hours.

I'm not sure why you were told to wait on getting plants, I'd add some in if you were planning on it anyways. They aren't a substitution for water changes but they will still be beneficial.

Yes am using the API freshwater master test kit. And my amonia is at 0, nitrite 2.0, nitrate 40, and pH of 7.6.
It's been 2 days and I seriously haven't seen any change on both the nitrite and nitrate. Everything was going fine and out of no where I got high nitrite and nitrates. So I am really confuse on how that even happen. :/

Sometimes when I have an unusually high reading I retest just to reassure myself. Could have been human error. Who knows?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes am using the API freshwater master test kit. And my amonia is at 0, nitrite 2.0, nitrate 40, and pH of 7.6.
It's been 2 days and I seriously haven't seen any change on both the nitrite and nitrate. Everything was going fine and out of no where I got high nitrite and nitrates. So I am really confuse on how that even happen. :/

It's possible that the cycle was interrupted (more on that below) and is in the processing of restarting. The ammonia converting bacteria usually become established well before the nitrite converting bacteria. Thus, you will see zero ammonia and some nitrites (as in your situation). The nitrates will be reduced via water changes.
What kind of filter does this tank have? What kind of maintenance is performed on it and how often?

When you say everything was fine do you mean you had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and under 40 nitrates and now out of nowhere you have had a nitrite spike? If so have you done anything different with the substrate or cleaning the filter media that may have disturbed the bacteria?

If not, what it sounds like so far is that you had high ammonia, that dropped and now you have nitrites and nitrates showing which is just a natural process of the cycle. The nitrite to nitrate conversion takes a substantial amount of time compared to the ammonia to nitrite conversion. When I was cycling my tank the nitrite to nitrate process took up 75-80% of the total cycle time. I'd do huge 80% water changes to lower nitrites and it'd seem like it made a minimal dent in the amount of nitrites registering on the test. I say just keep up with the water changes, get plants in there, and if possible try to acquire some seeding media from another established tank to help speed the process up.

When you say everything was fine do you mean you had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and under 40 nitrates and now out of nowhere you have had a nitrite spike? If so have you done anything different with the substrate or cleaning the filter media that may have disturbed the bacteria?

If not, what it sounds like so far is that you had high ammonia, that dropped and now you have nitrites and nitrates showing which is just a natural process of the cycle. The nitrite to nitrate conversion takes a substantial amount of time compared to the ammonia to nitrite conversion. When I was cycling my tank the nitrite to nitrate process took up 75-80% of the total cycle time. I'd do huge 80% water changes to lower nitrites and it'd seem like it made a minimal dent in the amount of nitrites registering on the test. I say just keep up with the water changes, get plants in there, and if possible try to acquire some seeding media from another established tank to help speed the process up.

Yeah I am still cycling my tank. But my ammonia was never that high but I am scare for my fish. So do 80% water change and then keep doing the 25% daily? Because that's what I've been doing 25% water changes.

As long as you see nitrites, continue with to the WCs.
Did you do anything to the tank recently (before the ammonia spiked)? Clean the filter?

I think you're doing the best under the conditions. If you want to speed up the cycling, you can just buy a bottle of the nitrifying bacteria. One thing to keep in mind is that you might get a dud. depending on how the bottle was kept in transit from manufacturer to the store, the bacteria in the bottle might be dead already.

I have used Dr Tim's and another brand that I can't recall. I bought Dr Tim's off amazon and the other one from Pet Smart. I used both, assuming one might be a dud.

Back
Top Bottom