Cycle ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packagerat

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 72 gal. tank.
Ammonia- .25 ppm was 1.0 ppm yesterday
nitrite- 2.0 ppm was 1.0 ppm
Nitrate- 20 ppm was 10 ppm
PH- 7.8
Temp 78
1 Week ago my Ammonia hit the 1 ppm and since I have fish I was really starting to feel bad for them. (I did not know about the fishless cycle) The lfs just told me to come in the next day and they would set me up with some fish and told me the tank would be cycled in a week. After 4 weeks I now have 5 angels, 5 cory catfish, 5 neon tetras, 4 serpa tetras, 7 guppies. After having the tank for 2 weeks found this great forum and went out right away and bought an ap freshwater test kit. At 2 weeks I was showing 0 ppm on all tests that is when the lfs said I was cycled hence all the fish. I have been doing 20% pwc this last week every other day and adding Prime to help control the ammonia. Are my parameters normal ? Does using prime give false ammonia readings ? Is there anything else I should be doing ? So far I have lost only 1 cory but I feel bad for the rest.

Just keep doing water changes. I'd do a 50% immediately because of the Nitrite reading.

Try to keep all readings (Ammonia and Nitrite) below 1ppm. You may need to do 50%-75% PWC's every other day til you get it under control. Cycling can take up to 8 weeks, usually 6-8 weeks.

Yes, pwc's! If you don't have one already, I would buy a python immediately to make the chore easier and more enjoyable.

Thanks for the help. Did a 50% pwc yesterday dropped my ammonia to 0, Nitrite to .50 and nitrate to 10. Got home from work tonight nitrite was back up 2.0 ppm and nitrate was 20 ppm. Just did another 50% pwc. After the pwc I noticed one of my angels hanging only at the top with mouth above surface. The mouth and gills are moving rapidly its been about an hour now. All the other fish are acting normal. Is this a bad sign for my angel? my latest readings are:

Ammonia 0.0 ppm
Nitrite .50 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm
I am using well water for the pwc and have not had a problem with it yet for the almost 5 weeks i have had the tank

Yes I have an air pump. All the other fish are there joyful selves swimming around.

It is not a great sign could be damage to his gills from the ammonia and nitrites. Maybe change another 25% of your water and hope for the best.

Either 25% or 50%. Can never do too much. :)Extra aeration can help a bit too. Are you using Prime? Might add a small extra dosage as well, will help make the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite that does exist more or less not toxic.

rich311k said:
It is not a great sign could be damage to his gills from the ammonia and nitrites.

That was my first guess, but I'm still too much of a n00b, so I didn't want to speculate. But that is almost exactly what one of my loaches went through when my nitrites were high and I didn't know it.

Thanks for all the help. He is now swimming around but still seems to be gasping a bit. Did a pwc last night then again this morning and just finished another one tonight. Latest readings:
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0-.25 ppm
Nitrate 5 ppm

Back
Top Bottom