Cycled now ready for fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mtl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi cycling is done my levels are good ( Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 ph 7 nitrates 22). It's 15 gallons we decided on platys how many can I add in the first batch? And can I also add a few snails at the same time.

Thanks

Hi! It depends on 1) how you cycled the tank. Did you add ammonia or some other source or did you use fish? and 2) whether you want the tank to be platy only or if you're wanting some other fish in there too.

I am pretty sure I will stay with mainly platys. Plus I will be adding a couple snails and shrimp at a later time. Also maybe some sort of small bottom feeder

Again it depends on how you cycled it? If you used pure ammonia and dosed to 4, then you can add them all at once. If you cycled with fish then you want to add fish slowly (one at a time) to allow your bacteria to adjust. At most I think 4 platys for the tank that way you'll have a bit of room to add a bottom-feeder later on. Also if you get a mix of males and females they'll probably breed and your tank can become overstocked very fast.

Back
Top Bottom