Cycled really fast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diydanielle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
About two or three weeks ago I transferred my fish (guppies, several adults and way too many babies) into a 30 gallon from my old 10 gallon. I transferred all the water from the 10 gallon (not sure if that was good or bad), but am using new gravel (rocks plus a small bag of sand underneath that was on sale), new heater. Old bubbler. And then I'm using a canister filter I got with the tank. I did use canister filter in the old tank for a few hours before I transferred everything over. I brought my water to be tested last week at pet store and the nitrates/nitrites were high, no ammonia.

Decided to buy a test to keep up with it seeing as running to store all the time is a lot. So today I used my test kit. Less than a week later (from last test), my water has no nitrites or ammonia. Nitrates are good.

I thought cycling took longer than this? I mean even the test results last week at fish store weren't what I expected.

The plan is to get some cichlids but I wanted to wait until tank was stable... not sure what to do with the guppies, their breeding got out of control and several of them have some spinal issues. I'm assuming I was supposed to weed those out but I just didn't have heart to do that so anyhow, no more guppies for me. I had guppies as a kid and I really don't remember them being this fast to breed. I do clean the tank pretty religiously and I don't over feed, but still. Insanity. Anyhow any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Nope. I did run the canister filter for a few hours in the 10 gallon tank before switching it to 30 gallon.

Nope. I did run the canister filter for a few hours in the 10 gallon tank before switching it to 30 gallon.

I don't think a few hours will do much. I would have run the old filter and the new one on the 30 for at least a few weeks, if nothing else, put the old media in the canister will work too.

Can't do that, as I gave the old filter and tank to my friend. Regardless, the tank is reading that it IS cycled. I'm curious if I should trust those readings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom