Cycling 75g stocking ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcas3

Aquarium Advice Regular
My friend recently got a 75g tank and we decided to put sand as the substrate. We r gonna let it cycle for a few weeks but we'd like some input on stocking ideas. He already has two gourami he has in another tank he wants to put into it. Let me know about any other ideas ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403488109.611991.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403488126.452130.jpg

What species of gourami does he have? A school of bleeding heart tetras or harlequin rasboras would be a good addition. Kuhli loaches or sterbai corydoras would be great bottom feeders.

Fish In Tank Cycling

My friend recently got a 75g tank and we decided to put sand as the substrate. We r gonna let it cycle for a few weeks but we'd like some input on stocking ideas. He already has two gourami he has in another tank he wants to put into it. Let me know about any other ideas View attachment 241123View attachment 241124

Hello p...

Cycling a tank with fish is efficient, but takes a particular species that will tolerate less than perfect water conditions. This is why a lot of new water keepers fail. They choose the wrong fish and don't follow through with the water testing and removal and replacement necessary to keep the fish alive.

The best fish for this are Guppies, Platys and Swordtails if you prefer live bearing fish and Rasboras, Zebra Danios, Rosy Barbs and White Clouds if you like egglayers.

I wouldn't recommend using others. They may not make it through the nitrogen cycle.

B

Thanks. He has a 20 gallon right now he has the fish in for A few months about how long should we let the 75g cycle without fish?

Fish In Tank Cycling

Thanks. He has a 20 gallon right now he has the fish in for A few months about how long should we let the 75g cycle without fish?

Hello again p...

The tank won't cycle unless you provide a steady source of ammonia. The combination of ammonia and oxygen is needed to grow the good bacteria to use the wastes the fish produce.

Using hardy fish and feeding them a little every day or two will provide the ammonia needed. Others put pure ammonia in a fishless tank. I don't see how that maintains a steady dose of ammonia, but some seem to get it to work.

Your 75 gallon tank will need quite a few fish. I've always suggested 3 to 4 small to medium sized adult fish for every 10 gallons of water. So, a 75 G will need at least a couple of dozen. If you have too few fish, all that 75 gallons of water will dilute the dissolved wastes to the point there will be nothing for the bacteria to live on and they won't reproduce. No bacteria, no cycle.

B

You don't need a continuous amount of ammonia, as long as there is some in there. That's how fishless cycling works. You add in pure ammonia and dose it back up to 4 ppm every time it gets below 1 ppm. That way is quicker and safer, and you can fully stock your tank as soon as it's finished. Also it requires only one water change, right before adding fish. The only negative is that your tank is empty for a month or so.

Also, the bacteria used in the nitrogen cycle can live for a month or so without food, and pretty much only live on surfaces, not so much in the water. Just some info.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Just thought id post my friends progress this is day 2 of cycling and the cloudiness is almost gone (don't worry we are adding different decorations)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403667815.541579.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403667815.541579.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom