Cycling a 5G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bumzc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchase a 5 Gallon tank to be a QT tank.

The 5 gallon was setup 4 days ago and I threw in a bunch of media (cut filter pad, plants, gravel) from my 55G tank which has been establish for a while now. I dose the ammonia up to .50 the first day but it hasn't gone down yet. I've read that I could instantly cycle my tank with loads of seeded media but its' not the case here.

I've read online that it's almost impossible to cycle a small tank. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with cycling a 5 gallon or smaller tank.

I purchase a 5 Gallon tank to be a QT tank.

The 5 gallon was setup 4 days ago and I threw in a bunch of media (cut filter pad, plants, gravel) from my 55G tank which has been establish for a while now. I dose the ammonia up to .50 the first day but it hasn't gone down yet. I've read that I could instantly cycle my tank with loads of seeded media but its' not the case here.

I've read online that it's almost impossible to cycle a small tank. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with cycling a 5 gallon or smaller tank.[/QU
An instant cycle isnt guarenteed unless you are moving everything from your established tank. Will it cycle quicker? It should but you will need to dose the ammonia to 4ppm daily and be patient! It will cycle and it doesnt really matter if its a 5gal or a 50 gal because its the same process. Have you checked for nitrites or nitrates yet?

0 reading for no2 and no3 on day 3.

I only does to .5 ammonia just to test to see if I brought over some good bacteria and would of dose higher if the ammonia disappeared. Guess it's back to a regular cycle

Good luck! I started with established filter media & plants on my 50gal & did a fishless cycle. Instantly cycled? Nope. It still took a solid 3 wks to cycle completely but i guess thats quicker than 6 wks! :)

Are you going to need this QT right away? If not, I'd just wait until you need it. Have the extra filter media alongside the 55 gallon filter media and then just set the QT up, grab the filter media and voila, instant cycle.

I have always been instantly cycled using established filter media, always. I've never even gone through a mini-cycle. Don't know why it would be different for you guys.

The 5G tank came with a small hob filter so I thought I could cut a piece of filter from my fluval 405 to fit the hob and it would be an instant cycle but that didn't work. I've even stuff some biomax rings into the hob but still didn't instant cycle.

Update:

The 5 Gallon is now cycle. It didn't instant cycle but 6 days is better then a few weeks. :)

And it is not going to be a QT tank anymore but a fry tank as my guppies dropped a few this morning.

I'm afraid I might be coming down MTS. oohh noes lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom