Cycling a New Tank with Water from Established Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wailing Banshee

Aquarium Advice Regular
It is time for a water change in my 50 gallon. I am picking up a 90 gallon and 29 gallon tomorrow. Question: Will syphoning the water from my current tank into my new tank (about 50%) and switching a used filter HOB to my new tank help speed the cycling process? I was going to try this with the 29 gallon first and let my very grumpy red zebra old man be my test fish before any others.

Hardly any beneficial bacteria is in water as there is nothing for it to colonize on. But adding the seeded filter from the other tank will definitely speed the cycle. Are you doing fish in cycle or fishless?

Hardly any beneficial bacteria is in water as there is nothing for it to colonize on. But adding the seeded filter from the other tank will definitely speed the cycle. Are you doing fish in cycle or fishless?

I am going to put my red zebra (almost 5") in there first or my 2 female convicts I stupidly purchased a few weeks ago.

Just watch your ammonia and nitrite readings and do a 50% WC if either rise above .25ppm. The seeded filter will help a lot!

Just watch your ammonia and nitrite readings and do a 50% WC if either rise above .25ppm. The seeded filter will help a lot!

Thanks! I have never had live plants. What plant do you recommend for a new set up and a newbie to live plants in an aquarium? I want tall plants as the 29 gallon is a tall tank. The 90 long I'm picking up tomorrow is going to be my big project! I am going to have patience letting it cycle-maybe with some feeder fish.

What type lighting and bulbs are you using as lighting determines the type of plants you can grow.

I suggest getting something other than feeder fish to cycle with. I know they are cheap but they are often diseased and you don't want to start with that in a new tank. Something like danio's are a good, hardy choice for cycling.

What type lighting and bulbs are you using as lighting determines the type of plants you can grow.

I suggest getting something other than feeder fish to cycle with. I know they are cheap but they are often diseased and you don't want to start with that in a new tank. Something like danio's are a good, hardy choice for cycling.

Yes, I thought of those. It's ugly of me but I think of them as feeder fish. If they survive, they can be dither fish for my cichlids I guess.

More like a snack for them.

And I just won an auction for 4 German Blue Rams tonight... Yikes! I know they have to go in the established tank... I'll be doing lots of shifting around this week. I know they like live plants.

Back
Top Bottom