Cycling advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Binkiesbuns

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im new to this site so first of all Hi everyone! :flowers:

I am currently trying to cycle a 210l coldwater tank with axolotls already in (I know my bad:facepalm:) I realise this is going to be a long process when its already stocked as I need to keep ammonia and nitrite levels as low as possible for the axies safety. What Im wondering is, will the tank cycle at all if I dont let the ammonia levels rise beyond 0.5ppm and likewise for the nitrite when it arrives?:confused:

Thanks in advance!

Yes, your tank will successfully cycle if you keep the levels low (safe) for your fish. The presence of ammonia and later nitrite - even at low levels - will lead to the colonization of the beneficial bacteria. Since your fish are always producing ammonia (which will be converted to nitrite), there will always be some present in your tank to feed and build the colony of bacteria, even with frequent water changes to ensure the health of your fish.

Tank Cycling

Hello Bink...

Using hardy fish to cycle a tank is the traditional way. It's efficient and won't hurt your fish if you carefully check the ammonia and nitrite levels and change 25 to 30 percent of the tank water if you have a positive test for either of these toxins.

So, you're doing the right thing by changing the water when you get a positive test, because even a trace of ammonia or nitrites in the water is enough to potentially kill your fish.

You need to test daily. When you have several tests showing "0" ammonia and nitrites, then you can add a few small, hardy fish. Resume testing and changing the water until the tank is properly stocked.

Note: You must test the water every day and remove and replace the water when you have a positive test for pollutants. The water change will keep the water chemistry safe for your fish.

B

Thanks for the advice guys! Phew, Im so glad that I'l get there eventually then, Ive been testing daily and doing 20% water changes to keep the ammonia low. I'll continue with what I'm doing and keep patient :)

Back
Top Bottom